A few more amp/cab questions...

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by Jason West, Sep 7, 2004.

1. Jason West

Jason West

Aug 25, 2004
    Kamas, Utah
    Disclaimer: I've searched and read EVERY thread in the forum on amplification, I swear....

I'm ready to make my first DB amplification purchase (I play no BG and have NO plans to). I've narrowed the pup down to the FC and will probably get either a PBB-II or a D-tar Solstice (for future flexibility). I will probably eventually add a AMT mic. My future gigs could involve fairly high stage volumes (2 elec. guitars, mic'd drums, KB's) in addition to small accoustic ensemble work.

I'd like a rig that is flexible enough to handle all of this. So far I'm thinking either a Clarus or an I-amp 500 and two 8 ohm cabs; Ideally a EA VL-208 and maybe a Berg HT-112.

My questions are whether the Clarus has enough headroom for this (especially the VL-208). I also wonder if a Pub-280 might work better or as well as an amp/cab combination. What cab would be a better single cab? The final complication factor is that I can't afford to get all of this at the same time and I don't want to 'waste' money now on less expensive/adequate gear just to have to majorly upgrade in the future.

I know this is all a bit vauge, but I'm really stumped as to where to spend my $$. Thanks in advice for any suggestions or thoughts.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I own both and the VL208 is my first choice for everything but very quiet trio or drummerless gigs, where I now take the PUB. The Bergantino, while an excellent cabinet, is far more colored. While it's a pleasant color, it's still a color. I prefer the CXL 112 to the Bergantino, allowing that theyt're both very good cabs.

In my experience, the VL-208 needs more juice than the Clarus (I also have one) has to give.

If you're not doing any slabbing, I'd say that the VL208 is the best cab I've ever heard, and the combination with the iAmp should be wonderful. The PUB is great sounding, but does have some headroom limitations, so if you're worried about that, I'd avoid it until you know that you have something to cover the loud situations as well. All just my .02c, of course.
  3. Jason West

Jason West

Aug 25, 2004
    Kamas, Utah
    Thanks for the advice, Chris.
  4. I second Chris' points about the Berg and the EA CXL 112, although I'm not convinced that the CXL 112 is as ruler-flat as it seems like it is periodically described. However, I find the CXL to be a phenomenally flexible cabinet that I use in practically all situations if for no other reason that it can handle practically anything I throw at it, so I find it worth bringing a little "extra cabinet" than is always needed. I use a Clarus and have been happy with it, although I would very much like to have a Focus at some point in the future - I think the AI clarity with a little extra headroom would probably sound stunning.

For the amp, my suggestion is to pursue a Clarus or save for a Focus if you really want to make the wise longest-term purchase. For the cabinet, you could hardly go wrong with a CXL 112, in my opinion.

BTW - My CXL 112 is a brick - the thing has been through some abuse and sounds great and even still looks pretty good, too. The Clarus is surprisingly resilient, too, given the smaller size and lighter weight.