1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A few neck shaving q's.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Darkstrike, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Ok, a few quick questions, I've searched but got no answer.
    I'm planning on shaving a neck thats way too big. Rosewood fretboard, maple neck.

1, Other threads have mentioned Surforms, does it matter which one I get?

2, Do I follow the grain with the Surform, as I would with a regular plane.

3, Dainish Oil, any good for necks? If so, is it a one time job, or will it need upkeep?

4, What about Wipe On Poly, should I hold out for this instead?

Overall, I want a one time job, shave the neck to suit, sand it all smooth, prep for finish. I'd prefer a wipe on finish, for ease of use, I'd prefer a satin finish(as is on the bass already), but I'm not adverse to gloss if I have to o that route, and lastly, I want it to be a one time finish, once its done, its done, and I won't have to worry about it, like the rest of my instruments.

Also, I do have woodwork experience, but not this kind, and it has been a few years.

Opinions?

2. SDB Guitars

SDB Guitars Commercial User

Jul 2, 2007
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Shawn Ball - Owner, SDB Guitars
    Depending on how much you are taking off, sandpaper might be a better idea than surforms (or Microplanes, which I'm coming to prefer). if you are taking off no more than 1/16" or so, I'd say start with 80 grit sandpaper, and work your way up through at least 320 grit, preferrably 600 grit. Then, the wipe-on poly. I wouldn't recommend the Danish oil, but that's just me. I've never liked it.

3. eleonn

eleonn

Aug 24, 2006
    Lima - PerĂº
    Shawn any special reason for that?

4. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    THe other threads said that sandpaper would not be good enough for hard maple, but I'll try it first to be on the safe side. As for how much I'll take off, I'm hoping for 1/16, or just a little more from the center, I don't want to get close to the rod, but that shouldn't be a problem with the size of this neck.
    But the sides, will need more, quiet a bit, as it has the whole baseball bat thing going on, if I can get it down to P-Bass dimensions I'd be very happy.

I'll look further for the Wipe on Poly, it does come in satin, does it? Or can I give it a high level sandpapering afterwards, 600/1000, or so?