Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A few new basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nino Valenti, Jan 17, 2002.

1. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    A freind of mine, Dom, has a white USA Kramer Era Spector NS-2 that he paid $600 for. I've wanted a white Spector for a while now & I've always told him I wanted it.

Dom has wanted my Spector NS-5 for a while as well. Since I bought my Sadowsky 24 fret 5, I haven't played the NS-5 in a while. The string spacing felt to tight, I brought to record Theorem's new demo (along w/the Sadowsky) & I couldn't get a sound I liked out of her.

A few days ago he was in our shop getting a set-up done on one of his Fender 5's & I mentioned to Dom that I was thinking of selling it. He said "How much?" I reply, "How much are you willing to specnd on a $3000 bass?" About a 1/2 an hour goes by & he says "I'll give you my NS-2 + $1000!!!!!" I hesitated a second & said 'bring it but this Thurs & we can look them over"

Now I FINALLY have a white Spector & $1000 burning a hole in my pocket & what do I do? Pay some bills? NO!!!! Give the money to my wife? HELL NO!!!!! I call Gard @ Bass Central & order a black Lakland 50-01 w/maple board & a case & I should have that by the middle/end of next week!!!!!!

Life is good!!!!! :)

2. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    ...you of course, realize you can't take it all with you.

That said, can I have a few? :D

You own to many basses Nino. Entirely to many. Enough that you should just give them to...me! That would make ME happy, and your wife too, to get another bass out of the house, right? It's win/win. C'mon Nino! ;)

:D

3. BassMan2000

BassMan2000

Sep 27, 2000
    Canada
    Don't listen to Brendan!

Saying that means, sell me one of your czechs for cheap :D :D :D

4. Hell, I'll just take a set of strings if you don't mind.

5. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You're gonna like 'er Nino, trust me. :D

I played a few licks on that bass before I polished it up and packed it. I just continue to be amazed at the quality, tone, and playability of these things, especially for the money involved.

If your wife finds out and gets peeved, it's not my fault!!!! :eek:

Brendan, you already need more after just getting that Kingston 5 the other week? Greedy greedy greedy greedy..... ;)

6. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Gard, I want to have a reason to call you so badly, but sadly, I don't have enough money to do anything more than talk, so I won't call. :(

I'm getting some major GAS lately, especiallly with Peavey's release of new amps. I think there should be a "GAS" forum, kind of like a relief effort for people with GAS, maybe AA-like. :D ;)

Anyway, I'll shut up now. Congrats, Nino.

P.S. 2000th post = here/now

7. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, the K5 is nice. I love it. But a GAS's work is NEVER done. :D

Speaking o' GAS...I might be getting a Eden 18' or 2x15 from you guys in the fair to middlin' future...

8. I hear you guys on the GAS. I'm trying to find any reason I can to keep from calling Gard about ordering a Zon fretless 6 of some sort. I feel like I need time for my playing to come together, but it's just soooo tempting!

9. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    Nino let un know how this new bass sounds! and when you'll have the lakland let us know how this compare to your others beauties!

;)

10. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Thanks guys. I can't wait to get the Lakland. I'm not too fond of Bartolini's but latley I've played a few basses w/them & they sounded really good, so I gonna give it a shot.

11. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Hey Nino,
    I've come across your name bidding on a couple Sadowsky's as well. Imagine if you had won those too?!

Since you seem to know your Sadowsky basses and have tried a bunch, I've been meaning to ask: How do those soapbar Sadowsky's sound like compared to an Alder VJ Sadowsky?

Question for you...if you had Sadowsky VJ4 now, what would be your next Sadowsky 4 purchase and why?

Cheers,
    Ken

12. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    hmm.........eden 18..........ADGCF tuning............................:eek:

jeezum crow, i wish i had a reason to go to bass central (I was planning on going during Chri..erm..Winter Break, but my dad was sick throughout the vacation). :(

[annoying televangelist voice on]

avarice is a sin, nino! let me lead you to redemption! you must relinquish your self-indulgent possessions...

[said voice off]

(no offense intended...i think i ought to put a disclaimer on all of my posts from now on ;) )

13. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Brad, I hope your dad's better now, seems like a lot of people were ill over the holidays (I was one, nasty cold, still ain't 100%). Mebbe you and Brendan should carpool on up? ;) :D

Glad I'm not living down there anymore, sounds like Brendan is trying to induce intestinal meltdown in St. Lucie County...or is he trying to breach the containment walls at the nuke plant?!?!?! :eek:

(televangelist voice: ON)

Nehno, Gawd wants uh Spector, aynd He wants ME to play it fawh Him!

(televangelist voice: OFF)

...and I refuse to print a disclaimer! :p

14. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Oh I wish I had the money to relieve GAS,but I'm 13 so i cant get a job.but im getting a job once i turn 14(IN MARCH!!!!).so in 2 months,ill have my MIM jazz ive been thinking about for so long.Right now I have 230,and i want to get it new.so thats 384 i need.:(

Soon that day will come when I'm holding my Fender MIM jazz bass in blue agave,with a white pearloid pickguard,and maybe some SD basslines.oohhhhhh mama i cant wait!

15. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Ya'll are lucky I talked myself outta that Bag End 2x18! I was...heck, still kinda am lobbying my consience out of that. So be thankfull I've relegated my GAS to a single 18...:D

My bass is my weapon.

16. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC

17. KPO2000

KPO2000 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2001
    MA
    Thanks Nino! Good luck with the Lakland and the new Sadowsky. Be sure to post a report!