1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Few Noob Questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Despereaux, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Hi gang! Thanks for taking the time to read/answer my q's.

I "upgrading" from my mexican p-bass to something a little nicer. From what I have played I like Fender Jazz basses, however I really, really like maple necks. That said, I'm also a HUGE Rush fan and come to find out that Fender Geddy "artist" model is a J bass and has a maple neck! Woot!

However, I'm not quite sure if its made in USA? My questions are:

1. Is the Geddy artist J Bass made in USA?

2. What does the community think of maple necks?

3. Should I really care whether the Geddy bass is made elsewhere (I think its made in Japan???) ?

Thanks again for helping a reformed six stringer out.

2. Matt_W

Matt_W

May 3, 2007
    Leeds, UK
    From what I hear, the Japanese build quality rivals that of the made in the USA Fenders.

3. mellobud

mellobud

May 17, 2007
    Missouri
    I wouldnt say the build quality is better but quality control might be better than MIA...Thing is Japanese instruments are consistantly great but every once in awhile there is an American one that blows it out of the water. Geddy is a great deal...Maple necks are great as well (good bright response).

4. 1) No. Japan.

2) It's a never ending debate regarding tonal difference between rosewood and maple. Maple does feel smoother IMO.

3) No.

5. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab HELIX user & BOSE Abuser

Feb 11, 2004
    Texas
    ^^^
    What he said!

My current favorite basses(and ones I get paid to play) were made in Japan.
    Greco, Orville, and Orville by Gibson.

6. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Inactive

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    maple necks or maple fretboards?

7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Syracuse NY
    Endorsing artist: Dingwall Guitars
    MIJ or CIJ Fenders are nice instruments. I've had a few over the years and they're generally well built and sound good. There are a few tweaks you can do to make them even better if you find a tonal deficit.

The Geddy gets good marks in these parts. People at TB seem to really like theirs...I spent about 10 minutes with one, and the neck is definitely a thinner profile from the standard Jazz. As a 6 string player, you may find it fairly close to what you're already used to.

Maple fretboards are great. I've had both, and I have a pretty nice custom build soon to arrive from my favorite builder...yup you guessed it...with maple/maple neck and two very special block inlays.

8. Obese Chess

Obese Chess Spicy Big Dad Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2005
    Portland, OR
    Buy the GEDDY LEEEEEE.

9. Hey everyone, thanks for the input.

I have one or two live gigs every week and I really needed a better instrument. Looking forward to finding my Ged!

And to answer the previous poster, yes, looking for maple/maple - should have been more specific.

One last q, I read that they started PAINTING the inlays on these necks due to the thin profile very recently. Maybe I should try to find an older model?

10. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    The GL sig basses have AMAZING jazz tone IMO, I only played one for about 10 minutes, but I fell in love hard. I wish I wasn't a student with bills sometimes! :p

11. m3t4lhed

m3t4lhed

Jun 15, 2007
    Chennai, India
    Question related to maple necks: Are they suitable for hot and humid weather conditions?

12. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Maple neck or maple fretboards?

And any guitar could have problems in really hot and humid conditions....most necks are maple, just with different fretboard materials...

13. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

The Geddy Lee bass is consistantly excellent. It doesn't matter where it's made. If you like it go for it.

14. m3t4lhed

m3t4lhed

Jun 15, 2007
    Chennai, India
    i mean the fretboard

15. momma'sboy

momma'sboy

Jul 11, 2006
    pinas
    im kinda curious when some instrument is built somewhere then shipped to US, will the shipping can damage(climate chenges to mishandling ) the instrument, im being general here so this means this include squiers from indonesia , mims cij etc

16. Every Geddy I've played has been pretty nice. That being said, you should also check out the Lakland Daryl Jones Skyline. The 4 string version is smoking! I have not heard the newest version with the Lakland single coils, but the original with the Aero's is great sounding... very aggressive and grindy for a passive instrument, and the reduced body size is very comfortable. You get blocks and binding to boot!

K

17. RayO5421

RayO5421

Jan 15, 2007
    Toms River NJ
    1) The Geddy is made in Japan

2) I personally love maple finger or fret boards. Unfortunately, I only have basses with rosewood boards right now, I hope to get one sometime though.

3) Nah, don't worry where a bass is made. If it plays nice and sounds good than go for it and don't worry where it came from. There are much more important factors to consider when buying an instrument.

18. fenderscottster

fenderscottster

Jul 3, 2007
    wow...great gears you've got. ;)

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 21, 2021