Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A few of you will be happy to know...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sal_Paradise, Oct 28, 2004.

1. The deal is done. I traded my StingRay for the Warwick. I hear standard practise is to get a Thumb and then get EMG J's for it. So, I did. They'll be here in the next few weeks. The MEC's will be going in my fretless Yamaha BBG4S-II. And as for my Yamaha pups and EQ... well, they'll probably be for sale soon.

I hope I have your blessings.

2. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Good luck, you've got yourself a great bass, and the EMG's will probably make it better. I'm thinking of doing the same thing.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Good luck, hope you dig it. I like thumbs slightly more than stingrays.

4. Word! You'll be the first to know how it works out!

And Figjam, agreed. I liked the sound of the Ray a bit better, and it felt like a really solid instrument, but no matter how much I played it, I couldn't get comfortable. But the Warwick ... WHEW! Five minutes with it and I was singing "Home, Home on the bass... " But holy frakkin' neckdive!

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea neck dive. But other than that i love it. Feels solid. I just dont like the Ray neck..too similiar to a fender i guess, which im not crazy about.

6. Hotrod98Z

Hotrod98Z

Jul 27, 2004
    B-Town
    Did you just get the regular emg j series pickups for it, i have a warwick too and none of the local shops can tell me what pickup i need for it.

7. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    [​IMG]

8. Neckthrough or bolt on warwick?

9. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    bovinehost- thanks. I was actually inquiring about that very picture in this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=148627&page=1&highlight=jesus

I like Warwicks myself, but that picture is darned funny.

Sal- Glad you were able to make the final decision. You're happy with the Warwick, your friend's happy to have the 'Ray back, and all is well. Hope you can resolve/get through the neckdive issue.

10. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    I said that the first time I played one too and I had to get one. I did like it a lot and the neck dive didn't bother me as much as others but, playing anything in the first two positions and having it feel like my hand was streching to get there, now that did bother me. I also bought a Streamer Stage II and I love that way better than the Thumb NT that I had.
    I love the Warwick tone, it rules! And I never even had EMG's in them although the Thumb perhaps could have used them but not the Streamer Stage II.

See pictures here: http://community.webshots.com/user/pistoleroace

11. Hotrod, I did indeed get the reggy-geggy J series.

anomalybass, it is indeed a bolt-on.

Dincrest, I'm fairly sure I'll be able to cope. So long as I don't wear silky, buttery shirts it shouldn't move around too much. Are there weights available especially for this kinda thing, or is it a love it or leave it scenario?

pistoleroace, I don't mind the reaching. I almost like the reaching. And as for the sound, it's phenominal. Love it. So much. But there are some things I'd change. Less with the pups and more with the eq. I can't wait to hear it with the EMG's...

And yes.... another freakin' Warwick :bassist:

12. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Well, happy to have been of service. The photo is, of course, just a joke. I have nothing good nor bad to say about Warwicks....just poking fun at a couple of pals of mine.

13. Hehehe, Understood. I'm a huge fan of that picture and actually had it as my desktop for a short period.

14. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Oh no. You didn't. :scowl:

No real use in switching MEC to EMG, as MEC is nothing more than EMG copies.

15. Oh yes, I did! :meh: :crying: :hyper: :confused: :eek: :oops: :ninja: :rollno: :cool: :bassist: :eyebrow:

See, I don't have much experience with pickups. So, I place my trust in the word of TBers. And the word seems to be: MEC's are good, but EMG's help.

16. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    Well yeah, the original is always etter than the copy. Personally, I'd go for Bartolini.

17. You'd better belive I'munna keep *ahem* y'all updated on how it works out. I'm hoping the difference is worth the money. And if it isn't... Well, my fretless will have a pair of kick-ace pups in it.

18. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Congrats, but you guys are missing the boat! Warwicks should be outfitted with Basslines p'ups! That is the ultimate combo! :bassist:

19. I have Warwicks with SD's and Bartolini's and I'd go with the Bartolinis. They seem more sensitive to playing technique and "growl" better. Plus they're passive so in the event of onstage battery failure (for those who can't be bothered to check before a gig) the bass doesn't die! EMG's are not my favorite pickups so I shouldn't comment, but they're way too sterile for me. SD's are supposed to be somewhere between EMG's & barts.

In any case, I think that both the MEC J's on a Thumb are the same size - don't buy a standard Jazz bass replacement set or they won't fit...

You might want to try swapping out the MEC preamp for a Bartolini or OBP3 first, though. The stock preamp sounds horrible to me, the MEC actives aren't too bad.

20. "Well yeah, the original is always etter than the copy."

Tell that to Roger Sadowsky! (grin)