Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Few Pics of the "New" Tobias Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dude, Jan 22, 2004.

1. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    I lost the thread where people were talking about the "new" Tobias basses from Gibson and I found a few pics I shot last weekend at NAMM.

I was not impressed at all with any of these basses.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. xcental34x

xcental34x

Feb 28, 2003
    Memphrica, TN
    *DROOL*

I can always modify it. That bottom one is just beautiful. Any got prices?

~Patrick

HD's Edit - deleted "creative" obscenity

3. pistoleroace

pistoleroace

Sep 13, 2002
    WI
    Dude, thanks for the pics. What were some of the concerns or issues that you had with them? Poor quality construction? Over priced?

Thanks

4. Yeah, what's your beef with them? They look fine, if overpriced, to me.

5. andrewd

andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    i think they look alright... but how is the sound, playability, and price?

6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Overall quality was pretty rough in my opinion eg: poor sanding on bodies, poorly cut pickup routes etc...not to mention that the ones on display were not even setup properly.

I'm not sure of the prices but I've heard that some are in the $6,000 + retail price range.

7. They look nice, but I've also heard issues with them.

8. $6000 for a Gibson made Tobias? That's crazy. I thought that they Gibson made basses were fairly cheap.

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Perhaps you are thinking of the Musicyo Tobys?

I would imagine that the $6K is for a full, tricked out Signature.

If it is on par with a USA MTD, Fodera or Ken Smith, the ballpark is pretty close. If it is not, then the Tobias marque will acquire even more tarnish, once again, thanks to Gibson.:(

*slavering over that zebrawood Tobias*

10. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    I think this is going to be the case here but I didn't get a sense when walking through their room that they cared much.

11. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Oh yeah...did I happen to mention that they didn't have a single T-Bird on display?????

:mad:

12. gyancey

gyancey

Mar 25, 2002
    Austin, TX
    The quality is not even close. I sat with either the production manager or one of the builders from the factory (I'm not sure what he did but I've built more basses than he has and that's not saying much...) and pointed out all the problems. They should have paid me! Your marque comment is slightly ironic because even the T inlay was done very, very poorly!

13. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Quality (or lack of it) aside, they kind of look like they were studying the Cirrus style/look (I love my Cirrus basses BTW :D ).

14. it's too bad that Gibson have to be like this! Some of those basses like very pwettty!! :(

And anyway! they're should have been Grabbers out there!!! :mad: :D

are these just prototypes? maybe they are, and were made quickly for the NAMM show?

Even still. A company such as Gibson should be able to make trop-notch basses in fairly short periods of time... :meh:

15. You do know that Michael Tobias himself was building basses like that 15 years before the Cirrus basses were even a glint in the eyes of Hartley Peavey and Rich Lasner (their designer), right?

16. He does now! :D

pwnage!!1 :eek: :p

17. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    You DO know that previous Tobias designs (Gibson's, Michael's, or otherwise) didn't look so Cirrus like as these do, right? :rolleyes:
    (Why do I always have to draw a picture?!?)(Less smug, more comprehension please.)

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

They look] exactly the same as the old Tobias basses?

I've got a pre-Gibson zebrano-topped Classic 5 and the basic design is exacly the same.

Although the bridge looks different and maybe the pickups?

19. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    AZ
    Yours is better...trust me Bruce!!

20. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

OK, here, side-by-side, are a Cirrus 5, an older Gibson-era Basic 5 (likely predating the Cirrus line), and a new Tobias 5. What's the substantive cosmetic difference between the older and newer designs, and why do you say that the newer Tobias looks so Cirrus-like?