A few problems

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MrSaturn, May 30, 2004.

1. MrSaturn

Oct 25, 2001
    Palm Springs, CA
    (for your info i use my fingers, no pick)

Well I got the bass I am using now last year at thanksgiving time. Its alright, a cort action bass 4 string. It may not be the best but its pretty nice for my budget and stuff. Well anyway after a year of some harsh use I haven't changed the strings and as of late when playing in my jazz band after I start getting into it, like a performance thats 1 hour at about 50 minutes when we play the last two or 3 songs my hands like stick to the strings, its kinda weird. Its not only in the last 10 minutes though, its throughout the whole show but almost to the point where I cant play after 50 minutes. Is it my strings or is it a combination of the strings and my callouses and a little sweat making the strings stick, or am I just tired.

Also are flat wounds good for jazz bass? I remember my old bass teacher said they were nice, but haven't really seen much around, thanks for your help :D

(sometimes i dont make sense, I am sorry, but i fyou can decipher that please help?)
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I think either your teacher wasn't looking or he based that statement on counter sales. Flats generally stay on a bass for years not weeks or months like rounds. I've got a set that are coming on 2 years old and still sound great!

I like SIT Power Flats, others TI Jazz Flats, La Bella, Rotosound, etc,etc, etc. I think just about every string manufacturer puts out a set.

as far as the sticking... it might be muscle fatigue... might be sweat, or both. I really don't know :p but you made sense.
  3. DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i would say change your strings...after a year they must be full of oil and dead skin causing them to be sticky.
  4. I run my roundwounds a little over a year too. And I agree, they don't feel or sound like roundwounds when the grooves are filled with finger gunk.
  5. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Change your strings. You might want to give flats a try, but they run a wee bit more than rounds (sometimes 2/3rds again as much), so experimenting with them is...difficult. Check out www.bgra.net for a great (if slightly out of date) review section on strings, and an article on flats in general.