1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A few questions about Hartke amp/cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Noosh, Jul 19, 2012.

1. Noosh

Noosh

May 1, 2006
    North Carolina
    So here soon I will be upgrading my bass rig a bit. I still have the same gear I got when I started playing 8 (or so) years ago, a Peavey TKO 115 and Peavey Millenium 4.

I may have an opportunity to snag a Hartke HA3500 and a Hartke Transient Attack 410 cab for $300 (maybe less if I can talk the guy down a bit), but $300 seems a very fair price to me, pending condition (I havent seen pics yet either).

I've done a little research online and as far as I know (feel free to correct me here) the cab has aluminum cone drivers. I've grown to be kindof weary of the aluminum ones just from hearing bad stories about them blowing easily and whatnot. I've never used them myself so I don't know. 'Tis why I'm here asking the oh-so-knowledgeable talkbassers.

Also the specs on the amp say 350 watts at 4 ohms and 250 at 8. I havent been able to find the power handling for the transient attack cab, but the ad on craigslist says the cab is 200 watts. wouldn't that be too much power for the cab if that's the case?

I feel like there was something else I wanted to ask, but at the moment I can't remember what :smug: so that'll be it for now,
    Thanks!

2. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    1. I see a lot of old Hartke cabs still working just fine with the original speakers.

2. All amps come with a nifty feature designed to save your cabs from blowing...it's called a volume knob. Use common sense and learn to turn your rig down if the speakers sound like they're struggling (HINT: if it sounds like the cab's going to explode, it will). 200w for a 410 isn't a lot of power handling these days so I imagine this is a pretty old cab, but it won't be quiet, either.

3. Not much to add as I have no experience with that cab, but I certainly recommend the ha3500 to anyone interested. Great amp, built solid and LOUD for 350 watts. I run mine with an 8 ohm avatar 212 so its only pushing 250 watts and i still have never went past 6 on the volume knob with 2 guitars and a loud drummer.

4. BillyIVbass

BillyIVbass

Sep 24, 2008
    PA
    Gear Reviews Guitar World Online
    The Hartke 3500 is probably one of the most popular bass heads out there. Plenty loud, super clean, DI out and a nice EQ. If it's in good shape that's worth $300 alone. I'm sure the setup will be much more powerful and flexible than your TKO.