Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A few questions about powered speakers.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Apr 15, 2005.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    1. Can you wreck a powered speaker with a bass signal?

2. Does it matter if a powered PA speaker only does 50Hz on up? Can you notice the missing low end? Do you need a subwoofer?

3. It's said that powered PA speakers project a lot farther out and you may not be able to hear sufficient volume until you are 10-15 feet away from the speaker. Is this BS?

4. Can you use a bass with any set of powered computer speakers/sub? If so maybe the perfect thing for those arctic summers is a Hohner/Steinberger and some PC speakers. (Can use the powered speakers to turn the walkman into a ghetto blaster when not practicing.)

2. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    1. No, not in and of itself. You can wreck any speaker if you push it beyond its capabilities, but whether it's self powered or not doesn't matter.
    2. Not necessarily. Even if that's a -10dB figure it's still better than the average bass cab loaded with tens. If that's a -3dB figure it's comparable to the average bass cab with a fifteen.
    3. BS. 'Projection' is a matter of the speaker's dispersion pattern and whether or not it is self-powered is irrelevent.
    4. Can you? Yes, but you'll need a pre-amp to get an adequate level to drive the system, and it won't play loud. Better to just get a cheap practice amp.

3. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks much. I'm thinking of running a pair of Yorkville NX550P powered PA speakers as a bass rig.

4. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Any other opinions? Has anyone tried doing this?

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    May they work well? Could be. But as in any major expenditure you should go to your local music store and plug into one to be sure.

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I've had good experience with yorkville powered PA. One of the bands I play with uses E160P's on poles for mid-highs, and LS700P subs. They also use the processor which is apparently just a crossover with some builting in factory EQ. For a small PA it really packs a decent punch. We run the whole band through it - bass, drum kit, everything, and it does a better job than you think it would when you first look at it. I'd love to open it up one day to see what's in there, but it's not my PA so ...... I can see through to ports on the E160's that the horn is an RCF N252N so there's a pretty good chance the drivers are also RCF.

I don't know a lot about the PA cab you're planning on using but it look pretty good on paper. Certainly worth checking out.