1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A few questions about the new 2012 Fender MIA's

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Killens84, Aug 3, 2012.

1. Killens84

Killens84 Supporting Member

Sep 3, 2008
    Mississippi
    I have a few questions about the new 2012 Fender American Standard basses (specifically the P-bass)...

1. Are the frets leveled with a PLEK machine?

2. What type of rosewood do they use on the rosewood fretboards?

3. How much do the precisions generally weigh?

4. How consistent is the build quality from one bass to the next?

2. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    NO
    INDIAN
    8-9 LBS
    VERY

3. pedroims

pedroims

Dec 19, 2007
    Michigan
    Not sure about a Precision Standard MIA weighting 8 pounds, IME is more likely 9 -9.5

4. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

Mar 21, 2006
    Can't get more succinct than this!
    He's right, too.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    agreed, more like 9-10lbs, but otherwise spot-on (just like they have been for a good 15 years now)

6. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Two for four.

Occasionally you'll see one under eight pounds, probably about as often as one at nine.

Fenders have never been consistent, enda story. They may seem consistent to players with little technical background, but they aren't to real bench experts -- nor is anything else, come to that.

FMIC does have a long habit of temporarily tightening-up QC when they introduce a price increase model like the '12 American Standard with "upgraded" pickups, but it's only temporary and it's not reliable.

There were some truly ASTOUNDING QC lapses in '11. I saw them on my bench and I saw pictures of other ones here.

Bottom line: You always have to cherrypick production basses. Suck it up and deal with it. :(

7. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I've got 4 MIA P's and they are all under or just over 9 lbs. Two of them are just a hair over 8 lbs.