1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A few questions about the Squire VM Tele Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by katri, Apr 14, 2009.

1. I did a quick search and couldnt find much but all I really need to know is:

Has anyone had any reliablitiy issues, the main reason I am looking at one is as a tour bass to take out on the road and to gig with, so it will get a fair amount of abuse.

Also any general input and opinions greatly appericated.

Cheers
    Dan

2. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    I have one - but not as my main gigging bass. It's more of a GAS fix for me. I wont bore you with my whole review, but here is my input on it regarding your situation.

The hardware on these basses is junk compared to a good (relative to ones opinion) bass. It could be a soar spot for reliability down the road.

With the one screw per two saddle adjustment intonation can be tricky.

The tuners are cheap - but functional. Mine stays in tune while playing just fine.

The volume and tone knobs are about the cheapest thing they could have put on.

Having said all of that - the necks are nice. I had a new nut cut for mine, and it set up as good as any bass I've ever had. The action on mine is crazy low - no buzz - and I play pretty heavy for finger style. I'm sure my flat wounds help this as well.

It's a cool bass, but if you are on a budget a well setup VM Precision might be a better choice. I just picked one up over the weekend for a backup, and was suprised at how much "better" it was compared to the the VM tele.

Remember though - not all Squiers are created equal. You have to sift through some garbage ones sometimes to find a good one.

3. I was expecting to have to replace some of the hardware, I planned to change the bridge straight away as I play in drop D so that 2 saddle bridge won't do. Is your VM P *that* much better?

4. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY

Surprisingly yes. I was just grabbing a used one as a beater/backup for my MIA Fender. I was very impressed at how well put together it was. Compared to the Tele - the hardware is better, fret work is nearly perfect, neck is excellent. The PUP's in these things are really good too.

And it's none of my business - but if you are drop tuning with a mudbucker style pickup....you might not find that Tele all that great for tone.

5. Cheers for the input. It is greatly appreicated. I will have to get myself to my local music store and try both side by side.

6. sido

sido

Jul 11, 2008
    I agree with seventy's knowledgable assessment of the Squier TB bass, and I will add my perspective. After recently selling a MM Sterling bass (real one, not the new import), a very nice instrument that I simply needed a change from, I was killing time at a samash and saw the Squire VM Telebass. Like seventy, I was struck by the coolness and overall playability and high value for buck. Posted price was a more than reasonable $299, but I had a 20% off coupon. Net: $240. Could not pass it up, though I admit to concerns about Squier name (my callow snobbery) and probably should not have diverted the $240 away from a better instrument to come (and it did). However ... I am very pleased by the VM TB and I have been taking it out to gigs.
    Mine was well set up in the store, but I tweaked it for an evening, shimmed the neck etc and the final result is a solid, pleasing and pro or ... almost ... pro instrument. It does stay in tune, no problem. It's in tune now. Many players seem to prefer the VM Jazz bass, or the P, and some are saying the Classic Vibe stuff beats VM (and costs about $340). I am indifferent and have no strong views about the Squier line. I think there is big variation among individual instruments. The VM Jazz and P's I've played have all been poorly set up, with gaping action, and the same overall hardware quality. I prefer the VM TB over the other VM series because of the different look (I am a bad, inmsecure snob and I erased the Squier logo. Shame on me. I like the no-decal look, though.) I have also not been impressed by the Classic Vibe stuff, but it is likely the pieces I've played have been poorly set up and roughhoused by teens at GC and samash. I am not a partisan about this either way, and I admit to buying a Warrick Corvette, used, at GC just two days ago, which is a better instrument, and more my style. But, if pressed, I would vote up my particular TB as solid, tuneful, fun to play and gig worthy. I would deem it an ideal backup - and, if brought on the road, I would likely use it as my main and my main basses as backups to it, simply because I like the big neck and big mudbucker sound.

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I changed the tuners, pots, cap, etc, etc and it makes a fine gigging bass.Overall I'm very happy with it, and it sounds HUGE !

I also refinished and relic'd mine -

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. dezuiri

dezuiri

Feb 20, 2007
    Redwood City, CA
    Dark Horse, that bass looks amazing. Do you have any pics from the process? Could you explain a little of what you did on it?

For the Fender logo - did you buy a Fender Tele Bass Neck, a blank and add a decal, or were you able to remove the Squire logo and add the Fender Decal?

9. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

I love mine but the knobs and bridge are junk IMO (tuners are barely passable, but ok).

It has a tone that is different to say the least. Drop D may not sound good, but try it!