1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Few Questions for Fellow MM Owners

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DumDrummer, Mar 1, 2008.

1. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    I have a Stearling 4 string, single pu. Where do you place your hand when you single pu guys play? It feels more comfortable on the pickup, but I don't really like the sound. I like it better near the neck area with thumb on the pick guard, but don't find it too comfortable. I got this off a friend for a pretty dang good deal so I didn't have a choice. This was probably my only chance at owning an MM so went with it.

Also, any of you guys replaced the pick ups or pre amp? Not that I don't like the sound... just curious. If so, what did you replace it with?

Thanks.

2. superfunk47

superfunk47

Sep 9, 2007
    maybe put your thumb on the neck? or on the E string? thats what i do, YMMV.

or, you could just slap a thumbrest up there :bag:

3. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    I thought about the thumb rest, but I couldn't defile my MM like that. And if I did I would need to have one custom made somehow... the fender ones are so much bigger than what is necessary.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    What several folks are doing is buying a spare pickguard and either epoxy or screw a thumbrest to that without modifying the bass, and stashing away the original pickguard.

5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

I usually rest my thumb on the neck. Some times I'll use the E string as a thumb rest.

I don't think you'll find too many people who change the electronics in their MM basses. That defeats the whole purpose of owning a MM bass.

6. cloren

cloren

Nov 15, 2007
    san francisco
    I would suggest just resting your thumb on whatever low string you aren't playing at the time. I think Jaco does this to help keep his sound clean. I use my thumb as a movable anchor that moves in relation to whichever string I play on. it's weird at first but it becomes second nature after a while and audiby the bass will sound so much cleaner without the sympathetic vibration of unplayed low strings.

Otherwise, check out the Gary Willis playing ramp- he has one on his signature Ibanez which only has one pickup and people have sworn it makes them play better

7. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    get a ramp on it?

sometimes they look ugly as sin
    sometimes they look okay

8. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Where can you buy that ramp thing?

9. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Defile? How do you figure that you are defiling your bass by drilling 2 small holes in it? All you have to do to return it to "stock" condition is get a new pickguard. I put on a Fender rest - it works just fine.

Attached Files:

10. DumDrummer

DumDrummer

Mar 14, 2007
    South OC, CA
    Isn't there wood behind that spot on the pick guard?

Wouldn't you feel defiled if someone drilled two extra holes on you?

I may do what one person suggested and buy another pick guard and glue one on...

How long is that one by the way? The one I have is 2.5".