1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Few Questions on Power

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by MrJamieScho, Jan 26, 2012.

1. MrJamieScho

MrJamieScho

Jun 29, 2010
    Hey there everyone, just a few questions to ask regarding powering pedals, I have 6 pedals in total:

Boss ME-50B
    Boss LS-2
    EHX BBM
    Hardwire CM-2
    VT Bass
    Prunes and Custard

And basically I'm looking for a cheap way to power them, batteries are a no go. I've been reading up on the 1 Spot, and its looking good from there, but also the LS-2 can power more pedals, do they have to be Boss pedals? Or will it take all of these?
    If I go with the 1 Spot, will I need a surge protector? I've seen it mentioned a lot when talking about it, is it neccassary?

Thanks! :)

2. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    I use a 1-Spot to power 17 pedals with no issues including some power hogs like a EHX POG2 and they all run smooth as buttah! I use a surge protector to play it safe, run the 1-spot with everything in my profile with exceptions to: EHX BMS XO (needs its own cant daisy chain) and a Roland RE-20 Space Echo (pretty bad noise when daisy-chained, tried a TB looper then found out it likes it's own supply....nice and quiet!)

3. here's the score-
    find out the power consumption on each and every pedal (usually it's about 50-80ma per pedal),then when you get the score(guessing it's gonna be 'round 700ma),find a REGULATED power supply with at least 1,5 A and that's it.always leave some 'breathing' space for current,some say X2,and no worries..
    oh,and i power up from one-spot(except markbass compressore-has it's own PSU),never had any problems.although,I must confess,it's a CUSTOM power supply,made by freaking tech wiz (p&k audio),absolutely the best and most reliable PSU I've ever owned.

4. take inventory of your pedals & their individual power requirements, then go here
    Power supplies

5. alec

alec

Feb 13, 2000
    Perth, Australia
    The LS-2 can send power to other pedals (any sort that take 9v DC - not just Boss) but it can only share what its getting from its source. It can't add any current.

6. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    +1. I was going to say this too. Handy if you have a daisy chain setup like the 1spot and need have run out of connectors. Plug the PSU into the LS2 and run the daisy chain from the LS2.

7. MrJamieScho

MrJamieScho

Jun 29, 2010
    Thanks guys! I think ill go for the 1 Spot then, I have a boss-psu as well which i bought for my ME-50B, so ill see what i can do with those two :)