1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

a few questions with pj config

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jamersonburton, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jamersonburton

jamersonburton

Jul 22, 2011
    hi everyone.
    I have a pbass with seymour duncan spb3 QPs in it. I like em. BUT i was thinking of adding a bridge pickup to it. Naturally, i was thinking of an sjb-3b for the bridge. However, i was also considering other options:

1) get a jazz bass bridge pickup with less output than the QP (like an sjb-1) and have that pickup fairly close to the strings with the pbass pickup fairly low.

2) Go with a high output j pup like the sjb-3b and wire it volume volume.

3) Forget the pj and do a pp (no pun intended). move the spb3 to the bridge and put the original pbass pickup back in.

Also, i have some questions:
    a) if i had a pj both at full volume, would i experience any combination of: a loss in volume, loss in mids, and if the p is off and the j is on full would there still be any buzz?

if you have any other comments, concerns or questions for me to about this, please ask away.

2. Geroi Asfalta

Geroi Asfalta

Aug 23, 2011
    I'm not sure about pickup combinations, I'm going to experiment later this year with a fretless PJ.

There is a slight buzz problem with my PJ, but it depends where I am and what I'm connected to. In my house through my amplifier there's little to no buzz unless I'm on the J pickup and the treble is boosted. In the studio near my house, everything with singlecoils sounds horrifying.

I made a little comparison for you.

This first one is with the EQ flat- P pickup, then both, then just the J pickup.

This one is the same, just with the EQ on the amp set to bring out the buzz.

As for Volume and tone differences, there is a definite tone difference. As for volume, you be the judge.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 16, 2014
  3. Not a good idea. You would want a fairly hot J pickup.

4. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Get a hot J pickup. I prefer hum cancelling, but that's up to you. Dimarzio Model J and Ultra Jazz bridge pickups are both hum cancelling and sound nice.