Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A few questions you awesome people can help me with!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Judge2003, May 15, 2005.

1. Judge2003

Judge2003

Mar 26, 2005
    I'm really sorry if these have been asked before, but I did a quick scan of the threads and did not find anything... I really hate to be 'that guy' that repeats topics...

without further adue (sp?)

First of all, this may not be totally a 'technique question' but I get this horrible thing every once in a while, my index finger will be extremely rough for a few days so when I'm playing I will not get an even tone... and nothing upsets me more then uneven tone...

so... remedy's? suggestions? I usually put hand moisterizer on (doesn't help much)... and one time I had it before a show, so I just used athletic tape (it came off like our 4th song, but since my finger was kind of sticky, the tone stayed even which made me happy)

I've been learning to play with a pick for when this happens in the future... but I'm horrible with a pick playing standing up

My other question was just an observation mostly...

I love watching live music DVD's and what not and I notice bassists like to keep their hands in 'chord shapes'

now, how important is this technique? I've been able to hold my own not doing this, but it seems like a good investment to learn, I also think it looks really cool

Thank you talk bass for any help... my first post here, love reading all the topics and listening to all your music

peace out

2. bassmentguy

bassmentguy

May 15, 2005
    This may be more of a technique question than you realize. If you notice that the callous on your index finger is rough enough to notice such a big difference in tone, then it's probably a pretty good sign that your favoring it way too much when playing and aren't utilizing all of your playing fingers to their fullest potential. When you sit down to practice, stop and think about how strict your finger alternation really is. For the mean time, you might try a pumice stone (used for foot callouses) on the offending area after you shower.

I know what your going through. I tend to be pretty hyper sensitive to finger tone myself. good luck.

3. Judge2003

Judge2003

Mar 26, 2005
    Thanks a lot, that is a great idea

The thing is, I started off only playing with my index finger, I definetly lost the 'favoring one finger thing' as now when I'm playing and I have this 'rough index' problem, I'll only play with my middle (and ring if I have to... been putting off learning to play with my ring for quite some time now)

but now I am definetly regretting I didn't start off forcing myself to use alternating fingering those first couple months

4. daofktr

daofktr irritating, yet surly

Feb 15, 2005
    aurora, IN
    unless, of course, you develop the 'hook', like james jamerson...
    :D