A few questions

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Insomnia_Junkie, Nov 5, 2005.

1. I was just wondering when you hear a really great song is the tone coming more from the actually bass or the setup(amp) because I have a Traben Phoneix played through an Ashdown 15' electric blue but the tone is really low and not so much smooth or punchy also I wanted to specifically know which bass is best for what, like fender precisions are good for this and fender jazzes for whatever etc.... I absolutly love the tone in "Only in Dreams" by Weezer, but I would also like the tone from Dirnts 51 from Greenday, that kinda punchy tone and yet those smooth palm mutes in "whatsername" and "Jesus of Suburbia"

-Thanks guys!
  2. sure the equipment helps mold your tone. but the tone ultimatley comes from one thing...

your fingers

the equipment can only help you so far. ultimatley, it comes from your technique. anyone can pick up a dirnt sig, but only dirnt himself can get his own tone.

edit: if you're looking into fenders, p's give you the thump, and cut through the mix like a knife through butter, but the j will give you beautiful harmonics and more tone to mess around with. not to be calling a p a one trick pony, i love my p, but a j gets tones a p can't and vice versa.
  3. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    I agree that your fingers will yield the exact tone you are looking for ultimately; you just need to really decide what tone you it is you want on each song and change your playing position to achieve that tone. Once your technique is strong, you can easily find differences just by altering your plucking hand postion.

As for your rig, you will have a more "open" sounding tone with a 2x10" rig rather than a single 15". 15's will always have more bottom and sound boomy.

Good luck.
  4. Do you think you could describe each a little bit more, I unfortunetaly don't have a local music shop I can try basses out.
  5. Well, lets split it up this way.

Fender Jazz: Very punchy, very articulate harmonics. Tone is easier to play around with.
    Famous Artists: Flea, Tim Commerford, Geddy Lee, Jaco Pastorius.
    Fender Precision: Much more low mids. Cuts through the mix nicely. The "original funk bass".
    Famous Artists: Mike Dirnt, Dee Dee Ramone, James Jamerson, Sting.

Both can be great if you want to slap around, good for pretty much all styles once you get your technique down. These are the 2 giants of bassdom. Everything else is pretty much replicated or "improved versions" of these 2 basses(except for a select few).

more edits: as for your rig, if you want the punchiness that bad, crank those mids and highs. WCB's right. 15's are going to give you more boom, the 10's will be a bit better off helping you achieve what you're looking for.
  6. ahh I see, and if I were to acquire a 2x10 how would I know which head to throw in with it, to get the most out od the two?
  7. that is purely opinion. some would say a Gallien Kreuger head, others a David Eden($$$$), and for me an SWR does the job. if you're looking for something cheaper, a GK Backline or an SWR Workingman usually gets the job done nicely. If you're into tube heads, and money's not a problem, look into an Ampeg or David Eden.
  8. but isn't there a technical issue I should take in consideration? like something with wattage or ohms? So I don't blow up or fry anything.
  9. the cabinet can only take so much power. hence, you can match a 600 watt cabinet with a 400 watt amp. you shouldn't drive your cabinet more then it can handle, or chances are you might blow a speaker. as for ohms, (in simpleton terms) if given the option, the amp CAN put out more power with less ohms. i.e. Amp X puts out 300 watts at 8 ohms, 500 at 4, and 600 at 2.Cabinet Y is a 4 ohm cabinet that is capable of pushing 800 watts, so you're safe. also, if you combine 2 8 ohm cabs, you would be pushing the equivlant energy of 1 4 ohm cab, as with 2 4 ohms pushing as much as a 2 ohm. make sure you match amp wattage/ohms accordingly with the cabinet(s) you pick. also, if you have any other questions, feel free to im me.