1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A few questions.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by sillyfabe, Mar 17, 2009.

1. sillyfabe

sillyfabe keeping the low-end silly since '06 Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    My set up is as follows
    1)Fender Jazz Geddy Lee Bass or Squier Vintage Modified Fretless >
    2) Dunlop 105Q Bass Wah Pedal >
    3) ElectroHarmonix Q-TRON >
    4) Boss FL-3 Flanger >
    5) Boss OD-3 Bass Overdrive >
    6) Boss LM-2B Bass Limiter >
    7) Fender Rumble 60 Amp

Was wondering if I should change my order
    Also any ideal settings for each pedal or combos?

2. fightthepower

fightthepower

Jan 7, 2008
    San Diego
    Try the overdrive in the 1st position, in between the wah and the qtron, and after the wah/qtron. See what you like better. The overdrive before the wah/qtron will generally be a bit funkier, and placed after the filters might be considered more rock..ish. Other than that I think you have the right idea, but it's all about what sounds good to you. I like dirt(odb3)-filters(wah,qtron)-modulation(flanger)-compression/limiter, personally.

3. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    So anything that is placed before something will get empasizied?
    i.e. dirt before wah = wah empasizing the dirt
    wah before dirt = dirt with wah subtilties?

4. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Check out Boss's website for an article on this subject (link to article below). By no means is this a firm rule, but it is a place to start.

http://www.bossus.com/boss_users_group/article.php?ArticleId=39&ParentId=4

Playing style, the way you setup your gear and what sound you want will ultimately define the order (and settings) of your effects. After 25 years I still change my stuff around and get new things in search of other sounds.

5. kevteop

kevteop

Feb 12, 2008
    York, UK
    No. Generally whatever comes last dominates. In the case of dirt and filters/wahs, you get more dirt coming through as you let more treble through the filter, so it sounds very different to having the dirt after (which tends to negate some of the wah effect).

6. sillyfabe

Mar 13, 2009
    San Bernardino,CA
    OK so I re-arranged my pedals and they are as follows
    1) Q-Tron
    2)Bass Limiter (Boss LM-2B)
    3)Overdrive (Boss ODB-3)
    4)Flanger (Boss FL-3)
    5)Wah pedal (Dunlop 105Q with delay turned off)

This re3ally seems to the the trick esp for my wah. Dirt before the wah makes it really growl! If anyone reccomends anything else in terms of effects I'm all ears!

Thinking about a Electro-Harmonix Bass Synth Wah b/c I like the sound from what I have heard but have yet to try one. Any suggestions?