A few questions

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by kennyhoe, Jun 7, 2003.

1. Hey, i have a few questions about amps

1.) Which is better: to have more power in the head, or more power in the cab.

2.) Can someone please explain what bridging, bi-amping, and stereo means?

2. 1.) it's better to try and match power between your amp and cab. Say if you have a 120 watt amp and your cab can handle 800 watts, you won't be able to get 800 watts of power, so your amp will probably start bottoming out on you, unless you stop it from crapping out. You cant get 200 watts out of a 100 watt head just because your cab can handle it. A cab rated less than wat the amp puts out will certainl bottom out as well and you won't be able to take advantage of your amp without the speakers distorting first. If you have enough power, lets give a lot of power here, like say, 2000 watts into a 1500 watt cab, you will be fine, but your cab will start sounding like **** most likely once you turn the volume past 7.5. I can't see how anyone would need to turn that much power on that amp. leaving the volume on 2.5 with that amount of power will probably be deafening. hehe. I can honestly tell you that a 240 watt hartke head at 8 ohms is loud enough into a 410. Some people need 2000 watts, but 350 or 240 is loud enough for me, hehe. I'd get a cab that's rated higher than the amp, personally if i had the choice. There are just so many things to consider that really dont matter as much as people say it does. Your still safer getting a cab rated at a close amount of power as your head. Less likely for things going wrong when you need to turn up past 5.

2.)Im dumb with these terms, but biamping is when you have two cabs and you send the lower frequencies the amp produces to one cab (like a cab with a 15 or 18 in it, etc.) and the higher frequencies go to the smaller speakers (like your 8's or 10s. Say if you have 2 410 cabs, its probably not even nesecary to biamp. but if you have cabs with different sized speakers, biamping will certainly make them do what they are most likely designed to do. Give highs, or give lows.
  3. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    In the interest of brevity and clarity -

It's usually better to have more power capability in the speakers than in the head.

Stereo is just what it meant from the beginning : sound reproduction involving the use of separated transmission channels to achieve the sound separation of live hearing.

Bi-amping is using separate means of amplification for the highs and lows. Many heads do this, or an appropriate pre-amp/power amp rig can be set up for it.

Bridging is using both sides of a stereo power amp to a mono signal. 200w a side is 400w bridged