Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A few questions.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Infested_Leming, Aug 7, 2003.

1. Infested_Leming

Infested_Leming

Jun 29, 2003
    Canada
    Ok, so I'm brain-dead when it comes to cabs, so I beg for a little help. Let's say that I have a 200w head at 4ohms. What will happen if I run it through a cab rated at 8ohms. I really don't understand how the whole ohms thing works, and although I've seen a few threads that sort of explained it, I didn't get it. Answers would be appreciated, in extreme lamens terms.

2. Impedance is all about how easily the electricity can travel through the components. check out the ampfaq and look up how to work it out.

Your 200watt head will only operate at 4ohms if you have 2 8ohms cabs or 1 4ohm cab. The 200watts will be equally divided between the cabs if they have equal impedance.

3. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    for the record it would be o.k. to put one 8 ohm cab on your amp, but the volumes would be slightly less than a 4 ohm cab. the volume you can get out of your amp will be a little lower, before you get distortion, than with a 4 ohm cab.