Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A few random questions...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Brendan, Jun 27, 2001.

1. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Hey, looking around for that killer rig, as always (has to wait for after Pushic...*sigh*...), and I came up with a few questions...

What is the deal with PA speakers...2x15 w/ horn and rated at 1000 power rating (A Yamaha, but that's not the point) for less than 600...or an 18 for under 400...is there some reason these would not work for a bass? Cheap, and powefull, wh don't we all, right?

I was on Carvins website...they have a poweramp with graphic EQ...would that eliminate the need for a pre amp?, Sure, a preamp has a lot more features, but would just an EQ do it?

Kinda bored and just wondering...

2. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Carvin's 1x18 specifically for bass is also less than $400.

I bought my Peavey 2x15 orginally for $100, then added speakers for another $100... so I paid $200 for that doodad.

I bought a Cyclops for $475 and a RC210 w/ 1x18 cab for $700.

The deals are out there!!!

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm wasn't asking about deals Gabu, those I know :)D)...I was talking about feasibility...

4. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    The graphic EQ is the preamp.

PA speakers usually aren't voiced specifically (or correctly) for bass, so they won't sound nearly as focused. And I believe the range does not go nearly as low as a regular bass cab. I'm not the one to ask for specifics...but it does sound bad, and I'm sure of that!

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
  6. ubersam

ubersam

Oct 12, 2000
    L.A.
    The EQ alone is not the preamp, it is just part of the preamp section. The preamp itself is the section that adjusts the in-coming signal to a usable level and for better signal to noise ratio, the EQ is part of the tone shaping section of the preamp.
    True but not entirely true. If you think about the wide range of frequencies in any type of music (from the lowest rumblings of the bass or synth to the clear midrange of the human voice to the transient presence of a ride cymbal) PA speaker set-up's frequency range should be just as wide to accomodate all frequencies present in any type of music. In fact, someone on this board is using a PA 18" sub as part of their rig, I think it's JT but I'm not sure.
    There was a thread a while ago where someone highly advocates or suggests that everyone try, or use, a PA set-up for playing the bass through. I wouldn't go as far but, I run my amp's post-preamp DI into the house PA and it sounds good.

7. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    PA speakers can be used if that's the sound you seek. Some cabs made specifically for bass can color the sound. IMO that's not always a bad thing if it colors it towards a sound you like;)

Some bass cabs are voiced with bass in mind, some tend to be more hifi. I'm pretty sure recorded music would sound like crap coming out of my D210XLT's. Of course that's not what I bought them for so who cares?

Bottom line...get cabs that sound good to you and will cut it if used live. Easy to say, anyway.

8. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    JT uses (or at least used to use) a Yamaha 18" sub.

Vail Johnson is the guy that advocates using PA monitors instead of bass specific cabs.