A few things I don''t like on my Deluxe 55-94

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by soulbrother, Jan 11, 2002.

1. Since a couple of weeks I have this beautiful Lakland 55-94 Deluxe. It really is a very nice bass, natural finish, 5A quilted top, bird's eye board. There are a few things I really do not like:

* The preamp: I do not like the "bass" control. Cranked up a bit is doesn't give me the extra lows I am looking for! The lows are too undefined for my taste. It's more like a WHOOMMPP than a tight air movement. I have set the internal volume pot at MAX so I do not have to boost the lows too much. I guess the combination of low output Bartolini pick-ups and the VERY active preamp is why the bass keeps it's passive-like tone at a high volume. Correct me if I am wrong!

* The strings: The bass is still equipped with the original Lakland strings. They feel great but I think they sound OK when played with a soft touch. But when you really dig in they sound terrible! It seems to very hard to find 35" 5 string sets that will fit AND sound good. Recommendations needed PLEASE!!

That's it! Feel free to give me your experiences / comments.

Best regards, Werner Douwes.
  2. Yes there is a mid cut/boost knob and the midrange frequency is adjustable. There are 2 dip switches inside the electronics cavity to set the frequency. The mid frequency can be set to 250 hz, 500 hz, 700 hz or 850 hz. I set my 4-94 Deluxe to use 700 hz. My bass has the Barts which IMO have a smoother low end than most pickups. Soulbrother, maybe you would like a Lakland equipped with Basslines instead. The Basslines have a more aggressive sound.
  3. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Sing with me now...

Abalone on rosewood and blisters on fingers,
    Bright quilted maple and warm walnut stringers,
    A smooth slab of ebony strung with 4 strings,
    These are a few of my favorite things

When my sound bites, when my "B" stings, and I'm feeling sad,
    I simply remember how bad ZoomBoy sings, and then I don't feel... so bad.
  4. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii

I had a bart equipped 55-94 with a quilted maple top and a maple neck. I set the mid dip switch to 750 I think. I ran it with the bass control slightly boosted and the mid flat, or with a slight boost, treble boosted to taste. Tone was great. If your want more punch, set the dip switch to a lower frequency.

I agree with you about the bass control, it sounds like it might be set at 50 or 60 hz. ultralows! I just compensated with tone adjustments on the bass and on the amp.

If your bass is an older model, it does not have the mid dip switch. You can call Dan Lakin and mail order it for about $20.

I usually use a 130 B string, so the lakland set was not for me, since they only come with a 128. I settled into using a set of DRs, 45-65-85-105-130, stainless steel. I've forgotten the name, but they were stainless steel tapercore.
  5. Huh? I don't get it! I thought I sang pretty good...:rolleyes:
  6. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Sorry, poetic license and all that stuff... plus it had the right amount of syllables :D .
  7. I'll just take "a spoonful of sugar" it helps the medicine go down!
  8. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Soulbrother, sounds like the same issues I had with my maple board dlx55. No problems with my rosewood board one however.
  9. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I have one, Maple top, Maple board with Barts. I set the mids at 700, leave the treble flat and might "slightly" boost the mids and lows. Slightly. I've been using the Lakland strings.

I guess I'm content with it sounding like it sounds, it's pretty open and airy sounding, the B is tight but I'll be the first to admit I wouldn't mind if it (the bass overall) were punchier. I play with a light but deliberate touch and the bass works well for me, with pretty low action.

They're not for everyone, I guess.
  10. Hi,

I e-mailed Dan yesterday and explained to him how I feel about the Bartolini preamp. He got back to me today and said it is possible to swap for a Demeter preamp. He has not done one in a long time so he doesn't know the sonic differences anymore. Does anyone has experience with a Lakland bass with Barts AND a Demeter preamp? How does that sound? Thanks for your input.

Regards, Werner.
  11. bwest9

bwest9 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
  12. Holy cow!!!!! Resurrected much?
  13. bwest9

bwest9 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Just set the interal preamp mids to 700 hz based on this thread. Big difference.
  14. elpezpr

Feb 7, 2008
    What I wonder is if the OP still has the bass!
  15. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    And crank up the flux capacitor so's we can go back to January 2002.:D
  16. bwest9

bwest9 Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Warp drive system inoperatable; flavor crystals have lost their suspension in the drive's matter/antimatter stream.
  17. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    When I saw that, my first thought was "Geez, how old would it have to be to not have that switch? Mine had it 7 or 8 years ago!".

Then I saw my response from 2002.
  18. dave64o

dave64o Talkbass Top 10 all time lowest talent/gear ratio! Gold Supporting Member

Jun 15, 2000
    Southern NJ
    Holy crap!!! Raising a seven year old thread from the dead to say "I don't"?!?!?!