1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)
  2. Because Photobucket has chosen to in effect "take down" everyone's photos (unless you pay them), we have extended post edit time in the Luthier's Corner to UNLIMITED.  If you used photobucket and happen to still have your images of builds, you can go back and fix as many of your posts as far back as you wish.

Note that TalkBass will host unlimited attachments for you, all the time, for free ;)  Just hit that "Upload a File" button.  You are also free to use our Media Gallery if you want a place to create albums, organize photos, etc :)

a few things I need to know

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by iamlowsound, Dec 4, 2005.

1. ok so i have decided that i am going to start my first bass soon. i have quite a bit of woodworking experance and my dad does woodworking all the time so i am not worried about that part. what i am wondering is since i want my bass tuned to ADGC should i make it a 33" scale instead of 34"? I also was looking for a guide on how to so the truss rod and fretboard. so if you can point me to a website with truss rod instructions and fretspacing it would be much apreciated. thanks,

lowsound

ps its going to be a maple, walnut (and maybe some cherry) neck thru

2. callmeMrThumbs

callmeMrThumbs Guest

Oct 6, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    Search for "fret calculator" on google or yahoo. There are a few really good sites that tell you the distance of each fret from the nut. However, having not had time to start my first bass project yet, I still don't know much about truss rods. Good luck...and let me know if you find anything.
    -Josh

3. well heres where i am buying all the stuff that i need

www.forloversofwood.com

it has everthing that you need to build a guitar from wood to trussrod

lowsound

4. bump

lowsound

5. Melvyn Hiscock's Make your own electric guitar or Martin Koch's Building Electric guitars are both good books.