Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A few wood questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Candiria, Jan 15, 2002.

1. Whats the difference between claro walnut and walnut..besides the look?

What kind of sound would a walnut bass with a maple core make?

What are the differences in sound between fretboards?

thanks

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    1. Probably not a whole lot, except for perhaps the price, which I would expect to go up quite a bit for Claro Walnut over, ah, non-Claro Walnut.

2. Bright. Maple a very hard wood, which results in a bright tone. Walnut is also pretty hard, and bright as well. This is opposed to a deep, mellow sound. What you're looking at is a lot of (I hate this term) "bite", as Warmoth put. Actually, going to their website www.warmoth.com would teach you a lot about woods and bass construction in general. Go to their "Bodies" section in the online catalog and check out "Wood Descriptions".

3. Again, going to Warmoth would help you out. Generally woods like Rosewood or Pau Farro (the dark ones) are warmer and more mellow, while Maple is much brighter. There's also ebony, which is very dark but very hard, giving more brightness.
    (I just realized I said Bright waay too many times in this post.)

Also remember that there are a LOT of things that can affect tone, and wood is only a small part of it. Pickups are a huge part of is, as well as overall construction.

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Woods? Hum.... Sounds like a good subject for rolling your own, so let's try Setup.

4. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    those are interesting but vague questions. to have decent answers you have to specify the construction of the bass, the body and neck style and what kind of pickup you would like to use. if you specify, a lot of people here can help.

5. bartolinis..not sure exactly which but probaboly along the lines of a p pickup and a humbucker (sorta like the precision deluxe)