1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  
    TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A filler/glue strong enough to drill bridge holes into it

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Adam Harzuf, Aug 9, 2012.

  1. Adam Harzuf

    Adam Harzuf

    Nov 16, 2004
    I have a BTB675 with monorails and I would like to install an ABM piezo monorail instead.
    The plan is to narrow down the (huge) string spacing and have variable spacing as well - constant string edge to string edge spacing (about 15mm).
    This meens I will have to drill in the horizontal plane at least one new hole for the bridge, but also I'll have to move the new screws vertically.
    Not only that there will be screw holes leftovers, but there are also routed holes in the wood, as the current bridge grips the string "under the surface". I attached a photo.
    I also attached the ABM schematic.

    So, I'm looking to know if there's a filler/glue strong enough to drill bridge holes in it. I was thinking about going through the whole body and secure the screw with a nut, but I really rather not go that route.



    Attached Files:

  2. PDGood

    PDGood Supporting Member

    Sep 19, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Why not a dowel?
  3. CH Design

    CH Design Supporting Member

    Apr 25, 2007
    Ottawa, ON
  4. Adam Harzuf

    Adam Harzuf

    Nov 16, 2004
    Pardon me, but English is not my main language. The dictionary shows that a dowel is a rod, but I suspect you meen something else.
    Can you please post a picture?

  5. Hopkins

    Hopkins Supporting Member Commercial User

    Nov 17, 2010
    Houston Tx
    Owner/Builder @Hopkins Guitars
    Yes, a wooden rod. Drill the existing holes out to the same size as the dowel and glue it into place.
  6. Adam Harzuf

    Adam Harzuf

    Nov 16, 2004
    What about that routed hole that's left in there?
  7. etoncrow

    etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

  8. Adam Harzuf

    Adam Harzuf

    Nov 16, 2004
    The dowel cannot fill all of this hole, it's not routed round, so I have to fill around the dowel with something. What would you recommend?
  9. etoncrow

    etoncrow (aka Greg Harman, the curmudgeon with a conundrum)

    drill the hole round and the same size or slightly smaller than the dowel you are using

    edit: or, fill your hole with a glued wooden dowel, make sawdust from another wooden dowel and fill in the gaps with a glue/sawdust mixture; sand smooth
  10. Adam Harzuf

    Adam Harzuf

    Nov 16, 2004
    White wood glue?
  11. TheEmptyCell

    TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned SUSPENDED

    Take it to a pro or someone with woodworking skills who can work a router. Have the entire bridge area routed out and fitted with a solid block of wood. This would cost more, but be a nicer looking, less likely to fail option.

    Or try cramming as many dowel pieces and as much wood glue/ sawdust mix as you can into the holes.
  12. Pilgrim

    Pilgrim Supporting Member

    I don't know of any filler or glue that will hold a screw reliably.

    You need to fill the holes with wood so you have a firm substance for the screws. Wooden dowel rods are a good way to do that.

    Either drill a round hole larger than the one which exists - then fill with a glued-in dowel - or as mentioned above, you will need to rout out the wood and replace it with a wooden block, then screw into the block.
  13. mmbongo

    mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

    Aug 5, 2009
    I think everyone is a little confused.

    I read it as he's not trying to plug a hole, he's trying to fill a route. A dowel rod will not work.

    Would an epoxy work?
  14. Adam Harzuf

    Adam Harzuf

    Nov 16, 2004
    I very good idea. I can work a router well, and it's so easy to do from the guitar's edge to the already routed bridge pup hole.

    In order to prepare that block for an invisible piezo cable work, I will route it diagonally and add a nice veneer top (like spalted maple, which is not so strong to be used for such an application perhaps)

    Attached Files:

  15. 202dy

    202dy Supporting Member

    Sep 26, 2006
    You are correct. A rout, technically it is a stopped mortise, needs to be filled. Since it is irregularly shaped, each should be routed to a simple rectangle. Matching filler strips can be cut, fit, and glued.

    If the new bridge is large enough to cover the existing footprint, filler strips can be cut to match the larger portion of the existing rout and press fit omitting the glue. They would act as inlay shims and make the job completely reversible.

    On the other hand, if the screws are 3/4" or longer than the thickness of the bridge and rout combined, skip all the above work and simply mount the bridge in place.

    Forget epoxy. There is no goo on the face of the planet that any self respecting repair tech would recommend to fill the routs.
  16. mmbongo

    mmbongo Dilly Dilly! Supporting Member

    Aug 5, 2009
    Good to know. I had no clue, but now I do :)
  17. mongo2


    Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    If I had to fill that routing, I'd rout out the hole to a more standard shape and inlay a fitted block of wood.
  18. 96tbird

    96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

    He has bridge pieces similar to this. I would agree with 202dy. Cut some filler blocks for the mortises that screws pass though. Since they will be hidden you only need to fill the ones screws are in. As for the exposed screw holes, the most attractive filler IMO is screws;just put nice plated guitar screws in and leave them

    Attached Files:

Share This Page