A Firing...of sorts.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Jun 28, 2005.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

'Kay, the band is named after him. And we have suffer(ed) some of his originals, and we played a few (too many) of his suggested songs in our playlist. So when we suggested movin' the set list in a more "rockin'" direction, he books us into a mellow eatery-pub that wants us to: "TURN DOWN! ALOT!"

All of the complaints or derogatory comments we've ever received from the audience have been about "him". Since we've been playin' the mellow eatery, he's been scowlin' at us for "taking liberties" musicians occasionally take (to remind ourselves that we are musicians!) to spice it up a bit.

I'll admit that it was helpful to turn down some. But not to play exclusively Rod Stewart, the Bee Gees and other mellow fluff. Then he (being in charge of booking us) schedules us for the summer into this (mellow) eatery Friday & Saturday nights, almost every weekend, and leaves better paying leads hangin'. And the latest song list "suggestions" he e-mailed to us...ugh. So what's a band to do?

A guitar player quits, then I quit, and the drummer quits.

We find someone who might work out on vocals.

Sort of an "Atlas Shrugged" firing.

I posted here a while ago that in a steadily working band, members will put up with alot of 'faults' because messing with the structure can break the whole thing up. It's a chance worth taking, I suppose. The "new" prospective singer is still a question mark.

I'll stay in touch.
  2. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    HA! That's great.

If it ain't working, move on. Sounds to me like this guy will be more than happy to play the mellow eatery by himself. More glory!

Good luck.
  3. I hear ya... I don't do it for the money anymore, if it ain't fun, it ain't worth dragging the amp out of the house.

4. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Too bad it had to come to that, madman!

Wasn't 'Too Many Fish in the Sea' a local song up there ...
  5. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

We've bagged a replacement singer. I know musically he'll work out. But logistically, it'll be tricky. We'll see long term. A few weeks of rehearsals, and off we go.