1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A first 6 string bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Ziltoid, Apr 10, 2009.

1. Ziltoid

Ziltoid I don't play bass

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    As many bassist i think the time has come to step to something new, that will allow to dig more stuff n to go more in depth of what "can be" done. The way to do it seemed obvious at first a 6 string bass. After a few weeks of shopping and stuff i have more questions then i had at the beginning.

As i am a student my budget aint unlimited, part time job gives what part time jobs gives eh.

So far the bass that came up is the Ibanez sr506, there starts the questions, what was your experience with it, how do you like it n blablabla. Also Is there any other bass you would suggest me to consider in that price range.

yes i will get answers like" depends what you play n the such, feel free to post them but just take in count that im really open minded, i try to dig as much style/technique/music as i possibly can.

2. You should try the Rouge 6 string on MF.....the next is similar to an Ibanez...I own it (although mine is defretted) for $249.00 its one heck of a bass!

3. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I'm not really a fan of rogue, and that model is not having the best reviews/comments, and my budget is more around 850~ Can

o and, more replies por favor? :)

4. bassvi

bassvi

Jul 12, 2005
    Iowa
    I had a SR506 for a short time, for some reason I couldn't get the tone I was looking for out of it. It was very light and nice to play though. I would have kept it if it had more mids in the tone pallette.

I picked up a used Peavey Cirrus 6 on Ebay for $750 a couple of years ago, it's a very good bass. I think you can get also a new Yamaha TRB 6 for around what you are looking to spend too.

5. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Well my friend's uncle at a local shop is doing me a price on the sr506 that i couldnt find elsewhere, 800Can no tax for the sr506 (brand new), any1 can think of better for that price?

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Sent you a PM

7. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    I've got an SR506, and I think I'm with bassvi on this one - I love the way it feels and even looks, but am not 100% thrilled with the sound. A little too crunchy in the high end maybe? I know that's totally subjective. There was a thread somewhere in here about switching out the preamp for something else - I'll post it if I can find it.

8. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I see many people complaining about not being able to get the tone they want out of it,

What you guys bass would be better for the same price or around it?

Schecter Stiletto ?
    Ibanez SR506?
    ESP LTD D-6?
    Spector Legend Classic 6?
    Schecter Stiletto Custom ?
    Some other stuff im just not thinking of?

9. funkadelickbass

funkadelickbass

Aug 13, 2006
    Milwaukee, WI
    Social Media and Sales: www.creamcitymusic.com
    the sr506 is great...I own one

but a used carvin LB-6 can be had on ebay for $450-$600 easy

10. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I'm a bumper :bag:

11. Mikio

Mikio

Feb 21, 2009
    Santiago de Chile
    Yamaha TRB1006, a great 6 strings bass you'd never leave, I guess

12. Spector_Ray

Spector_Ray

Aug 8, 2004
    Texas
  13. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=529107&highlight=1206
    much better than the 506.
    I owned a 506, great bass. little dead sounding unplugged (at least mine was). couldnt get the action to lower significantly. now thaT i have a modulus, the action on my old 506 was 1 mile off the fretboard! Plugged in the 506 sounded decent, no major complaints. so, in a nutshell, high action, decent sounding, sounded better than the cost would imply.

14. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I've been thinking about a 6 for a while. It'll be a while before I do anything about it, but a Peavey Grind 6 is on my possibilities list. I also played a spalted LTD with a $449 price tag that wasn't bad at all.

I read a few reports about people having trouble getting the Ibanez to intonate properly.

15. Klockwerk

Klockwerk

Jan 8, 2009
    There is a bass from Ibanez that hasn't been mentioned.

You should check out the BTB line from Ibanez. I'm the owner of a BTB 676, an absolutely amazing bass (bought for around 800 CAN $). Well built, good looks, average electronics however (I'll change the pick-ups eventually). The BTB 776 looks mighty fine as well.

16. RedLeg

RedLeg Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2009
    Kaiserslautern, Germany
    Nov Shmoz Ka Pop?
    +1
    ibby has great bang for your buck

17. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    Chances are that im going for a ibanez :p

18. Some don't like the Ibanez sound, but many do. The Bartolini system sounds great if that's the sound you like. The neck is really nice if you like thin, and narrow. Go try one if you can before you buy.

19. hieronymous

hieronymous

Nov 28, 2002
    Northern CA
    Best advice so far!

20. Ziltoid

Apr 10, 2009
    Canada
    I unfortunately live ina small town i have to order/buy to try :/ no trip planned anytime soon sooooooo idk...