Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A First Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by new bass, Mar 26, 2001.

1. new bass

new bass

Mar 26, 2001
    Houston,TX
    I am getting a new bass and selling my crumbie trombone. I can't affor a $300.00 bass because I have to get an amp also. Any suggestions on a bass $200.00 or less?

2. Look for a used MIM jazz or P, search the site, this is a very popular question

3. NukeBass

NukeBass

Jul 8, 2000
    Cornelius, NC
    The best thing I would think is for you to check out your local pawn shops and classifieds ads. Someone local may be selling a decent bass (say Fender Mexican, Yamaha, Peavey) and an amp in your price range. It may take a little time, but if you're on a budget the wait will be worth it. Just make sure you like the bass you buy and I mean everything: sound, color, look, feel, etc.

happy hunting

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Check out the fender squire or ibanez pre-made packages, they seem to be popular among people who are just beginning. I don't know how much they run, but I wouldn't imagine too much.

5. I would say a Fender Squire or MIM (I personally don't see the difference between either one except the MIMs cost more), or an Ibanez GSR 200. When I started I had a Ibanez GSR 200... I still have it too

6. I bought myself the Ibanez Jumpstart bass package when I started out.It has a low end bass(GSR190 or GSR200),a little 10 watt practice amp,cord,strap,video,pics,and allen wrenches.Got mine on sale for 299.00 but you can probably do better online.

Fender also has a similar beginners pack if you are so inclined.

As mentioned before:pawn shops,classifieds are also a great source.If you have a buddy who knows about guitars bring him/her along!

Happy Hunting! :)

7. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i suggest not to spend your money in a new bass or in package bass. go straigh to the second hand market and buy a bass that you like with the highest possible resale value.
    good luck

8. NJXT

NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I'll second the used bass option. Buying a new crappy bass (Hohner, Rogue, very low end Ibanez ...) is satisfying at the very start but you 'll probably quickly want/need a better one and will repay at least the same amount of bucks for a used "better" bass.

9. A guitar player friend of mine bought an ESP bass a while back to use for recording. It plays pretty well, and sounds decent. I think he payed $219 for it from Musician's Friend. I found it easier to play than lower line Fenders.

10. I give a big say on the used market.... especially when your dealing with low end... there are soooo many people selling old MIMs or Squires that were beginners like you that bought new and are trying to sell their old ones to get new ones now. I personally got my 5 string MIA Fender for around $500

11. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I recommend that if you are looking for a new bass, get a Fender Squire, either the "P" or "Jazz", depending on your preferences.

It's not so important that you have the best gear, but what IS important is that you have solid gear, something you can get used to playing on. New Squires will set you back for under $200 and are pretty well made for the money.

Then, if you want to upgrade it somewhere down the road, you still have a decent bass in your collection!

12. ilfretless

ilfretless Guest

Mar 16, 2001
    Milan, Italy
    My first bass was a Yamaha. I paid it something like 175 dollars andit plays quitegood. i think that a bass of that range should be kept no more than a year. after that you should pass to a better one

13. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I disagree! I'd never sell or trade another instrument, as long as I live! I did get rid of one, and even though I didn't like it that much, I'd still rather have it than to not have it...

If you care, it was a pre-Gibson Modulus Quantum-4.

14. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    My most painful memory...

Back "in the day" (read: I was 19 and stupid) a friend of mine had an early-70's Fender Jazz that he really needed to get rid of. Man, it was all sctratched up, missing it's pickguard, but sounded so sweet. He wanted $250 for it. My head was turned, however by the candy-apple red Destroyer-style Hondo II at the music store for $199. I still have the bruises for kicking myself...

Go good used instead of not-so-good new!