Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A first for me: I got fired

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by brianrost, Aug 17, 2005.

1. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I did my first paying gig back in 1980 and since then I have always either quit bands or had them break up.

Today I got my cherry popped with an email from the leader of the jazz quartet I've been playing in since December informing me that "for business reasons I have to let you go". He was able to get someone more experienced for the same dough :crying:

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    Maybe you have an age discrimination suit. :meh:

3. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Good luck proving age discrimination. He already said he got someone more experienced for the same money. Hey, it happens...unfortunate but not illegal.

Sorry it happened to you, but it's not the end of the world. Don't take it like a certain ex-girlfriend of mine did. I was the first guy to break up with her ever, and she starts screaming at me how SHE does the breaking up and I couldn't break up with her because it just doesn't happen. I broke up with her because I thought she was a hot but full-of-herself bimbo with very little brains, and that last conversation proved it so ultimately I did the right thing. Glad I got to boink her a couple times, though ;)

But I digress...

4. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    It happens. There are plenty of gigs I don't get called for cause there are a bunch of great bass players that live here. Don't let it get you down, cause you never know when that bass player is gonna get a call from a bunch of guys that "have more experience" than the ones that fired you and suddenly they'll be looking for another bassist.

5. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    LOL!

Don't get too sad Brian. All the time I get called for gigs and then I get a call back saying the gig has been cancelled. And most of the time I know perfectly well they just found another bassist and lied to me. At least your people are honest.

6. Imagine this: I was recently replaced in a regular gig by a 12-year-old kid. Sure he happens to be the leader's son, but still....

7. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    Keep a stiff upper lip Brian, remember the best revenge is playing well.

Okay, that was living well, but probably still applies.

Currently there are zero gigs I get called for on DB. Of course that is because I can't play the darn thing...yet. I'll be doing something about that though. Just continue to do something about your experience. :D

BTW, the email firing is totally out. I once let a drummer know by a phone call that I needed to hire another cat because the first drummer's priority to his main gig was hindering my ability to book the band, and I felt like a total schmuck because I didn't do it face to face. Still don't feel right about that.

8. I kid that I've been fired from more bands than I've been in.
    But, the bands I have been fired from, the leader always came up with some BS excuise for why it's going down. "Sorry man, its not me it's them other guys." I'd much rather hear; "I think it's time to go in a different direction, no hard feelings, see you around." .... That you can take, it's honest and direct. But more often than not it's a lie to cover the quilt they feel for not being able to be honest. ... Music is a conversation and we should want to, and be able to, speak to as many different people as posible to grow as musicians. ..... That's honest. .... I think it's time you started your own band. .... Pretty hard to get fired from that one. That is, unless you really suck and people stop coming to rehearsals...... Then it's time to practice.

9. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    I think the bad karma of the chicken-shiite way he released you will come back to get him, Brian. He may actually find out that just because a guy is more experienced doesn't mean he'll be easy to work with.

10. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    A lot of guys just say "the band's breaking up" and then re-form it, except for that ONE guy....

11. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Every ending is a new beginning.

12. Mr_McBride

Mr_McBride

Oct 9, 2003
    Acworth, Ga
    I was lucky enough to be able to study bass from one of the greatest bass players alive today, and he constantly stressed that it is more about your attitude than your playing that will get you the gig.

I have found this to be true. I could never be accused of beingthe player who made fewest mistakes...

Hope this helps,

13. FredH

FredH Supporting Member

Firing people is the sh*ttyist part of the job. I wish they had "how to" CD on doing it well...

14. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Sorry to hear it Brian. I'm sure that for someone like you things will work out just fine.

I feel for you just the same.

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I wa recently fired from a regular gig via a long winded phone message containing the phrase "It's not you, it's me..."

Theguy still will not talk to me...

16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    Wasn't there a "Sex And The City" episode about this very thing?

17. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Couple of years ago I was working a LOT with a guitar player. I get a phone call in which he gives me a bunch of dates and then wants to talk about how he feels I am not "with" the direction he wants to go and wants to talk about how to work at getting things "more together". After about a 45 minute phone conversation I'm the one that finally has to say " You know, it sounds like you're just hearing something else. Why don't you try to find somebody who plays more like what you want to hear?" and say that I'm not going to be doing any of the dates he just gave me.

18. Oh microsoft probably have a wizard for it by now - there's one in Powerepoint for "communicating bad news". Will your lap-top fit in your bass case?

19. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Maybe- I've never seen that show...

20. Ric Vice

Ric Vice Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2005
    Olivette, Missouri
    I've been "fired" from a gigs twice, it was a shock at the time, but
    when I took a step back from the inital shock, I eventually realized that it really was a good idea for me to "move on." Now, since I don't know the particulars of your situation, it's hard for me to say what you should do next, but you should get back in the game ASAP. Don't let the dust settle under your feet. Start doing
    whatever you do to get the next gig. IMHE
    if you love what you're doing then things will turn out.

Ric