1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Fistful Of Fours

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Doctor J, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Since I've done a hefty amount of selling and a bit of trading this year, I figured it was time to get the 4's together for a group shot. Every one of these basses is different, both in feel and especially in tone. Lovely stuff.

[​IMG]

My trusty old ESP, the greatest Jazz I've ever played in every aspect, ever.

[​IMG]

The Bacchus P. Probably my favourite bass right now. This thing just rocks my balls.

[​IMG]

The Sadowsky. This is a very nice bass indeed.

[​IMG]

The Streamer. Think Newsted's black album tone and you've got the idea.

[​IMG]

The Stingray. I avoided these for years after the dreaded bad-white-funk craze which swamped Dublin the early 90's but this is a great instrument with a unique tone. I like it.

[​IMG]

2. Nice collection! I especially dig the ESP's looks, and Newstead's tone on the blackalbum was the balls.

3. Buskman

Buskman

Apr 13, 2007
    Jersey Shore, USA
    I didn't realize that such an epidemic took place on your shores. Glad to hear you made it out unscathed! :D

Seriously though - beautiful basses you have there, my friend!

4. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    :D

That Flea fella has a lot to answer for. Every song it seemed, from the slowest ballad to the heaviest metal, was popped and slapped through on a Stingray. They were the darkest of days :bag:

5. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Cheers. It's hard to believe it's 21 years old now. For so many years it was the only bass I had and it still hits the spot every time.

6. J, that Bacchus gives me WOOD!!!

MUST have one!!!

SCHWEET!!!

lowdowndad:bassist:

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

That's a VERY nice collection you have there. Not much you can't do with that arsenal at your disposal.

:bassist:

8. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Cheers, but if the wife asks, you tell her there's room for a L-2000 ;)

9. I've always dug that ESP of yours Doc. How's it compare to the Bacchii?

10. obsession600

obsession600

Mar 13, 2007
    NYC
    that was the one thing I thought was missing

11. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    It's the reason I've never gone for a 4 string Bacchus J, there's no point, I don't believe I could get a better 4 string J bass. My general rule is, if Bacchus make a model of bass or g****r, you've a pretty good chance of it being better than the original (Duke vs Les Paul - no contest), but in this case I'm just not sure. The tone is exquisite, it's the kind of bass you don't EQ, you just plug in and you're ready to go. I've been playing it so long that it always feels perfect whenever I pick it up.

Having said that, the Bacchus P is giving me that same sort of satisfaction and the side dots glow in the dark :D

12. That's how I've come to feel about my first J-Classic, though I got bitten by the Jaco bug, and it's getting it's teeth pulled :smug: My custom (black) one covers the fretted side. I'm very happy with my pair, though everytime I see an old ESP like yours on Ishibashi, I get a little curious :D

13. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Maybe you need a backup J just to be sure? :ninja:

14. ForestThump

ForestThump

Jun 15, 2005
    Paris
    Very nice brace of basses there!
    IMHO a chambered or hollow bodied bass would increase your range of sound possibilities.

15. Doctor J

Doctor J

Dec 23, 2005
    Thanks!

That's not a bad idea at all.