Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A fix for musicman string balance..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jeffrey A-Bomb, Mar 4, 2003.

1. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    I own a '92 musicman stingray that has the common 'ray problem of misaligned pole pieces under the d and g strings, the g being the worst.. The tone would sound really funny high up on 'g' at times becase of misalignment.. so, I was trying different things to even out the string balance and found a way to line up the pole pieces.. I cranked up the right side of the bridge saddles for d and g and put the left side saddles very low.. This extreme slant looks funny, but I now have both strings lined up in the middle of the poles and the tone now blossoms.. Reintonation wasn't bad and the string action is still medium low.. Just figured I'd share my thoughts ;)

2. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hmm, I'm curious to hear if someone else tries this on their 'ray ;) It works perfectly.

3. I might sound stupid, but before doing that, make sure your neck is properly aligned - every neck pocket has some amount of "give" on either side. My own 'ray was slightly off on the high strings before I adjusted it... now it's pretty much dead center.

[​IMG]

4. I think that infect is joking, due to the placement of the ;)s.

Geoff

5. :confused: Don't think so. That would be some weird humor.

6. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Actually I'm not ;) The tilt of the saddle moves the string angle perfectly to align it. I'll take a picture sometime.. This'll work for anyone who wants more string balance. I've owned 2 stingrays in the past and sold them do to this issue.. But now that the tone is even up and down the neck/strings, it's a keeper :)

Btw, it's a stingray 4 ;) The 5's have less of a problem with string alignment.

7. Seriously, try moving the neck instead of the saddles. I don't think EB puts out misaligned pickups/strings on purpose. ;)

8. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Actually the neck is extremely tight fit.. The older rays have much better neck pocket construction than the newer ones.. At least from what I've noticed with the 2000+ model 'rays.

9. As you say.

10. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Hehe, compression is the other choice to correct stingray string balance (which I use occasionally).. How does your fretless ray sound btw? Looks nice..

11. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    The 5 strings (at least the 1 that I owned)has/also has or had this problem until I ended up replacing the stock pup with a Bartolini pup which cleared up that particular problem