1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A Fix For Truss Rod Rattle

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by KayCee, Apr 18, 2006.

1. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    For those of you that have had troubles with truss rod rattle, I'd like to share with you a product that really does work.

First of all, determine that the rattle is indeed your truss rod, and then make sure that it's not simply a case one that's never been tightened. On my bass, the rod was tight, yet you could hear the rod rattle in the neck when the open E & B strings were played, or if you rapped the back of the neck with your knuckles. I had eliminated all other possible sources of the rattle, and so had my guitar tech.

I'd had this problem years ago with another instrument. I sent it back to the builder, who poured a rubber cement down the truss rod canal to silence the problem. He then sent it back to me. To my horror, when I opened the case, there was brown ooze flowing out of the truss rod canal...it hadn't dried yet! Anyway, once that mess was cleaned up and the glue was dry, the truss rod was all but frozen in place. So this fix was one I didn't want to use except as a last resort. I've also heard of "tool handle plastic" being thinned and poured down the canal in the same way.

Frustrated, I searched around the net, and I found this fix on a repair forum online. With nothing to lose, I gave it a shot. The product is called "Chair-Loc Plus". The idea of the product is to fix chairs without gluing by swelling the wood in the joints. It works within 30 minutes. It comes in a 3-oz bottle with a syringe and two needles. About 9 bucks.

Heres' one source, but there are many online:
    http://www.rockler.com/findit.cfm?page=11264

Anyway, I put the bass on the stand, took off the truss rod cover, and injected some of the Chair-Loc down the truss rod canal. 15 minutes later, no more rattle, even with the hardest rapping on the back of the neck. Woo Hoo!!!

I hope this helps some of you that have had the same problem.

KayCee
    -----------------------
    Edit: BTW, the problem wasn't with the bass shown in my avatar.

2. cerrem

cerrem

Apr 4, 2006
    San Diego
    Now that is a smart, clean and elegent solution!!!!!
    I like the way you think :)
    Thanks for the tip...
    I am now thinking of other ways this can be usefull for with fixing guitars....

Chris

3. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    Thanks Chris, though I really can't take credit for inventing it...just for searching various repair forums on the net. I'm still stunned at how well it worked. Heck, maybe it's time to try it on some chairs!

Andy

4. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    how about if you can only access the truss rod from the body side?

5. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    You break off the headstock....

Wouldn't you just hold the bass upside down?

6. remo

remo

Jan 15, 2005
    duh! :) but would this goop drip all the way down to the headstock area?? Me thinks not..

7. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    I'm assuming it does some nasty stuff to the wood and I personally would never use it on my bass, but each to their own...

8. KayCee

KayCee

Oct 4, 2004
    Shawnee, KS
    The stuff is pretty thin and runny, but that's a long way to go unless you had a pretty huge syringe.

As far as it's effect on the wood, I didn't notice any negative effect on the tone.

In my opinion, a bass with a truss rattle that can't be fixed is headed for the garbage bin anyway, so it didn't seem like much of a gamble to try the Chair-Loc.

Having said all of that, proceed at your own risk with the product. It might be a good idea fix a chair with it first to get familiar with it's properties.