A flash of brilliance!An idea for a bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DryWater'Bass, Mar 20, 2004.

1. I had this really good idea...I've always idolized Jazz basses, especially swamp ash with maple neck and block inlays, ashtrays and all that...'75 style, ya know?

And I've idolized the likes of Tom Petersson and Dave Pinnick...and I want a 12, but I'm a fan of the mediary 8 strings....

So I figured someone should mix the two...and 8 and/or a 12 that are ala 75 Jazz...sound like a good idea to anyone else?Has it been tried?Anyone wanna try it...

I though of, as a good starter, getting a Douglas 4 from rondo and putting an 8 string bridge on it and a warmoth neck, it seems like it'd work out, just to test the waters...or buy the woods to make a 75 style warmoth...
  2. Ben_P

Oct 2, 2001
    Alberta, Canada
    The headstock probably wouldn't look like a fender.
  3. Ya I know, there's the snag...If I got a block headstock, I could probably shave it to look like a fender and it would work...

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I have a friend that has a warmoth Jazz Bass(headstock like that of a J Bass as well) that is like the 8 string you describe here.
  5. I don't know about the rest of you, but if I have an 8 string, I want it to be a monster, like a Conklin, or some Warwick shape, not a jazz shape. I like my 6+ string basses to be beastly.
  6. Jauqo, I have the utmost respect for you, I know noone around here that could pull off playing an 8 string, that's not octave doubled.
    Can you get pictures?I'd love to see it...I wanna get me a bass like this...then I'll move onto a 12...

Smoke, I thought this would appeal to more of the vintage enthusiasts...And people who like everything that sounds good, like me.
  7. Sorry Dry, I didn't mean for my post to seem rude, I should have added that smiley after all. I would really like to see an 8 string Jazz.
  8. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

There are plenty of people that do this.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Thanks for the kind words.I will see if I can get my friend to take some pics of it.
  10. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I'd love to see an 8 string octave jazz bass! More, I'd like to play it :).

By the by, DryWater'Bass, check out the topic: Fanned Fret: friend or foe?. It's got a great picture of one of our TB'ers tapping his heart out on a non-octave 9 string with fanned frets.
  11. Jared, I meant around my town...Everyone's playing 4s or 5s...maybe 1 or 2 6es...But I'm never one to follow suit, I hear something I like and just try to get that sound, on the way adding my own touches to it....
  12. temp5897

temp5897 Guest

ahhhh...ok. ;) :)

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    DWB my friend that has the 8 string J bass says the body is a Warmoth J body and the neck is a Warmoth 5 string J neck (it has the J style headstock along with 6 machine heads on one side.a combination of standard and octave and two on the other,a standard and an octave)
  14. I believe I get what he's sayin...But pics would still be awesome if they're feasible for you to get....So I know what I could do, if I decide to go with that route instead of 4+4...Thanks for the help though...I'll post pics sometime, if I ever get around to building it...
  15. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    DOUG Pinnick (from King's X) doesn't really play his 12's that much anymore, but it was awesome when he did :bassist:
  16. Yeah...I figured it out when I was surfing 12stringbass.vom the other day....I just never tried to edit it

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002