a floyd rose for bass is there such thing???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hugedrewie, Nov 18, 2000.

1. hugedrewie

Mar 20, 2000
    i was wondering can u get a floyd rose for the bass. i have a younger brother who always seems to b able to get in my room and thinks its fun to mck around with the tuning keys. i also play guitar and have a floyd rose on that and all the music shopa i have bin to dont know if u can get them.

2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, Floyd Rose did make at least one custom tremolo for bass. It was used by a guy who went by the mono-moniker Foley, he was playing piccolo bass with Miles Davis at one time. I seriously doubt they made many - if any - others, so finding one is most likely out of the question.

As far as a presently available production bass trem, there is a small company that is reproducing the Kahler trem, but I can't remember the company name. Try doing a search of the archives here, if I remember correctly this was discussed previously and there was even a link to the company's website. Good luck in your quest...
  3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

4. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    God, I hate those things. As they have virtually no contact with the instrument's body, they rob the instrument of all sustain and tone. They require an allen wrench to do the simplest adjustment and string change. God help you if you take off all the strings and forget to block the thing. And was it Mr. Rose's bright idea to put the saddle screws directly under the string, thereby negating any chance that one could adjust intonation anywhere near pitch? There's no reason to inflict one of these on your bass, unless you want one more thing for your brother to foul up.

The Khaler's better, but not by much. Proceed with caution.
  5. good luck getting an answer from these guys i have sent them 8 emails and have yet to get a reply.

if you do tell me how you did it.
  6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I corresponded with the guy for a while, but I couldn't afford it right then, and lost touch with him.
  7. There is a Kahler bass tremolo on ebay now. Just search in the bass section and it'll pop up.
  8. Kornjunky

Feb 6, 2010
    Medina Ohio
    I contacted Floyd Rose and asked them about a production bass trem a while ago. They replied and said that this is something they are actually looking into developing sometime late this year I believe, cant remember exactly. Ill post the email if I still have it. But in any case, if this is true, you might be able to see a floyd rose bass trem out by mid to late 2013.
  9. Kornjunky

Feb 6, 2010
    Medina Ohio
    Ya, here it is:
    "This is something we are looking at... I believe we will start pursuing
    this late next year...
    Thank you for your kind comments about our product..

AP International
    Andrew Papiccio | President
    Phone: (732) 919-6200
    Fax: (732) 919-6210
    andy@apintl.com | www.apintl.com"
  10. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

Feb 25, 2009
    Southern California
    This may set a record for zombie thread resurrection.
  11. brlottermann

May 14, 2011
    I'm pretty sure les claypool has one. ive been dying to get one built in on my warwick, but itll cost too much for me :(
  12. Johnny Crab

Johnny Crab ACME,QSC,Fame/Hondo/Greco user & BOSE Abuser Gold Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2004
    South Texas
  13. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    ha! well, zombies are in this year.

besides, the OP's problem had nothing to do with using a bass trem, it was his little brother messing with the tuning keys. (said little brother probably has his own instrument by now, or has moved out). i think he was actually asking about a locking nut, which i don't think exists for bass, and anyway also wouldn't have helped the problem (turning the keys in that case would just lead to broken strings).
  14. Kornjunky

Feb 6, 2010
    Medina Ohio
    lol call me the necromancer :p
  15. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Andy West used to have a 6 string Kahler trem on his headless Aria model. Damn, Andy was a fine, fine bass player. I think he was a system architecture guru with Sun Microsystems the last time I sought him out :)
  16. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    There are accomplished bass players on this board who weren't even alive when this thread started. (sorry, Sun Microsystems reminded me of existential concerns)