Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A Flying V Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stevenmc, Jul 6, 2005.

1. Stevenmc

Stevenmc

Jun 30, 2005
  2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    HAAAAHAHAHAHAHAAHAhahhahahahahhhahahahahha!!!!!!!

:D :D :D :D :D :bag: :D :D :D :D :D

j/k man, I've always secretly wanted a Flying V, don't remember hearing of Vantage before, but the headstock script looks familiar, and I love the Aira style headstock too!!!

3. I love Flying V basses myself, and plan to buy one oneday- they are made under many different shapes, names, and different brands and you can find many on ebay- I check almost every other day.

As for your Vantage, it's quite cool-looking, though I can't say I know of its history. Kramer, if I recall correctly, briefly made Vantage V basses, but I think those had the aluminum bolt-on necks, and Kramer would always put their name QUITE prominently on the headstock.

4. Kramer made some aluminum-necked basses that were *almost* V-shaped. The aluminum necks actually didn't say "Kramer" anywhere on them, though, except some early models had humbucking pickups with that engraved on them.

Anyway, Vantage was a Japanese brand in the 80's. There is one sote about them here: http://www.therathole.org/guitars/models/vantage/vantage.html

I think they were made in what's now the Samick factory, but I can't confirm that.

Mike

5. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    I would consider getting an Epiphone Flying V reissue and swapping in new pickups.

6. Stevenmc

Stevenmc

Jun 30, 2005
    I actually have replaced the pickups. I took out the originals and all the electronics because they were shot and replaced them with Seymore Duncan Quarter Pounder Basslines.

7. orskard

orskard

Mar 17, 2004
    Indiana
    Epiphone makes one that i almost bought.

www.wwbw.com

go there and look around in the bass section.