1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A ? for the POD experts

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bongomania, Mar 8, 2008.

1. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    I'm going to pick up a POD in order to review the compressor modeling in it. So which one should I get? That's really a few questions rolled into one: First, which one has "the most" or "the best" compressor models? Second, which one is most easily upgradeable (by downloads or whatever other method)? Third, which one is most commonly used these days, is it the XT or the XT Live or the Bass XT (or what) that most people are buying? And lastly, if I buy the "most common" one will I be missing out on any must-try comp models, or will I be missing out on upgradeability?

Let me know if I need to make any of that easier to understand. ;)
    Thanks!

2. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Shouldn't they be called "Pod People?" ;)

3. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    The answer to all your questions should be the POD X3 - except the "most commonly used" part.

I still see more POD XT Live boards out there than anything else. It's too early for the X3 to completely take over the POD market, and there will always be bass players who don't realize that the X3 does everything its guitar AND bass predecessors do. :D

On a related note... I like the Opto Comp that's built into the Line 6 LowDown series, but it seems to really be more of a transparent limiter than anything else.

4. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    I did some Googling earlier and the POD forums are moaning about delays and mishaps with software for the X3, so I'm thinking I should wait until the bugs are worked out before bothering to review it.

5. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Ah... not surprising, given my mixed experiences with their TonePort software. :meh:

I guess it wouldn't hurt for you to pick up a used Bass POD XT Live in the meantime, then? :D

6. XmattX

XmattX

Nov 25, 2005
    Photographer, Warwick GmbH & Co Music Equipment KG
    Essentially, the thing thats missing right now for the X3 is (gearbox) editing software. All (most) other software glitches with the unit itself have been smoothed out in the last 3 patches.

7. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    All the pods have 3 basic comp stomp box model: Blue/Red/Vetta

Remindes me of my awkward pokemon days.....

There is a LA-2A (sp???) model on the xt models. That comp is just a single "knob" tho, and tho the bass version has an actual knob to control it, you just access it via edit mode on the "guitar" version. The X3, im pleased to say, has expanded that comps controls to 2 "knobs": threshold and post-gain

Hope this helps...

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Its true. The only thing missing is the X3 version of "Line 6 Edit" (at least they came up with something interesting namewise this time lol).

Tho with the big LCD screen on the X3 I find i dont need an editor. Most of the FX parameters are on one screen per effect

We are. Beware.

9. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    If you go with an X3, just don't get the "live" version. I've had the bean version for months with no glitches, problems, etc....

I have owned/used: Original Bass POD, Guitar POD2.0, Bass POD xt, and now the PODX3. I have to say that the overall audio quality of the X3 is a big improvement. With previous POD's I didn't feel comfortable using them on Master sessions, but the X3 really is a big sonic step up.

Regarding the compressor models, I doubt you'll find them very exciting, Bongo. There's not a lot of tweakable parameters & while they have better signal to noise performance than a lot of analog units I've used, they don't really add much "extra" to the equation other than the raw dynamic compression. (At least I haven't noticed how the Line 6 modeled compressors add any extra tone flavors like "airiness" "grit" or the like...)

10. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Resistance is futile, you will be assimilated, er, I mean modeled.

11. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Sig'ed ----v

12. bongomania

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    Very useful input, thanks! I don't mind if the comp models are boring, my sole intent is to review them for other peoples' benefit; if I happen to enjoy a particular comp myself it's just an unexpected bonus. ;)

13. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Im quite looking fwd to your reviews there Bongo :D

Was reading the X3 manual (again) and found out there is a "Vetta Juice" model that sounds like it is a comp as well.....

I often think I'd lose my own head if it wasnt firmly attached...

14. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    Daniel, I'm honored that you've quoted me in your sig. I recall that I really liked some stuff you posted in the recordings forum. It really demonstrated the flexibility of the POD. Some rather frightening and amazing sounds.

15. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    I use the first bass pod ... it has an amp model that is not on the newer ones ... :bassist:

16. scotch

scotch It's not rocket science! Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2006
    Albany, NY USA
    Please see Profile for Endorsement disclosures
    Curious, which one? I didnt notice anything missing (at least not that I used) from the original.....

Unless you mean the SWR SM-400, which the X3 models as the SM-500. I think it's the exact same amp but with more power, right?

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Hehe, glad to hear

Just wait till i get some stuff going on with TWO signal chains :D ;)

18. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I played with a PodX3 for a while and after I finally figured out how to get to th ebass stuff, it sonded really good. The Muff model was really good! It brought people into the room to check it out. I may get one for recording and fun. I don't use effects a lot, but it would be fun to learn more.

19. René_Julien

René_Julien

Jun 26, 2008
    Belgium
    I got an X3 a couple of months ago.

Now that I'm forming a band again it has to go.
    I find it hard to tweak the volume levels. I need somthing simple, something set and forget when I'm up against the walls of distortion from the guitarist.

I was (still am, looking for a new amp head) using the X3 (the rackmount) as a preamp into a poweramp.

A very fun toy when you are playing with it at home... in the real world: :meh: the potential of this unit doesn't come out.

No problems in it's functionality, Line 6 makes very good stuff.

But IMO at the end of the day: just a toy. :)

And yes, I like the Big Muff modelling as well.
    I even prefer it over real big muffs. :bag:

Also, that Sub Dub... amazing when you hear it direct, but when you don't have the speakers to back it up that's a pitty.