Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A freinds fight with cancer.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by yoshi, Mar 19, 2003.

1. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    A freind of mine from school (back in year 10+11) has been very ill this last 18 months, fighting cancer.

On the bus this morning a freind said to myself and a few friends '______ has a few days left now'. I, as well as my freinds assumed this meant until he got out of hospital, but then she pointed out that it was until he died.

She then told us how the cancer in his knee was going to be removed via amputation after months of other treatments (kimotherapy I presume, the last time I saw him, 3 months ago, he didnt look too good), but it then spread to his spine, rendering any prospects treatment 'useless'.

It seems so 'unreal' if that makes sense, he's just 18. It was only 2 years ago that he was downing yard of ales at my 16th birthday party, taking on 4 people in a row :/

2. Sorry to hear about this. I know how hard it is to hear such news.

Peace

Matthew

3. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family. I am truely sorry.

If you need anyone to talk to, I am here.

4. i am so sorry to hear about your friend. that is such a hard thing to deal with. you have a chance to talk to your friend. do it. you will always be glad you did. do not take this the wrong way. the pain is going to be tremendous no matter what. hwoever, your friend will finally be out of pain. when our mom died of cancer after 5 years of battling, i knew she was finally not suffering anymore. it did not help the pain, however, it helped to know she was not hurting anymore.
    we are here for you hon. take care of yourself.:(

5. Funkster

Funkster

Apr 6, 2000
    Wormtown, MA
    As a cancer survivor my thoughts & prayers are with you. Truley a horrible disease...

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Sorry to hear it Yoshi. Losing people to cancer sucks. :(

7. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, thanks for all the replies. Not to sound heartless, but the point of the message wasnt that I dont know how Ill cope, but more one of those 'treasure your life kinda' things.

We wernt the closest of friends, but I'm still immensly shocked (as far as I knew hed began to recovcer since I saw him about 3 months ago at a friends 18th).

I think that rather than getting involved directly, Ill keep back a bit and let his closer freinds. Ill try my best to help out them and any others with worries :/

Sorry if I sound cold hearted, but Im sure theres many more who are going in and out, and seeing as hes been moved home I dont think its the best approach.

8. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    Mexico
    what kind of cancer does your FRIEND have?

sorry to hear about him...

I have seen some cancer cases over the hospital and they all make me very sad at times, more when the cancer is idiopathic (like "cause unknown") or just when is just bad ****ing luck (like when the patient never smoked or did something risky to himself) :meh:

9. Johnalex

Johnalex

Jul 20, 2001
    South Carolina
    I have a very good friend whoms mother is very sick with cancer. I feel like I am helpless in making them feel better about there mother. There is nothing I can say to her that will make her feel better. Cancer sucks.....dying sucks. :(

10. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    sorry to hear about that :( . i know what its like to know people with cancer, god knows its only worse for the people that have it...sometimes its hard but they can be better off and in a better place

11. I know one person on this board with cancer, and several others in real life... that sucks man... :(

12. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi all.

A freind of mine told me today that he died this morning at his home. May he rest in peace
    :(

13. he's gone to a better place, yoshi, and im sorry you've lost him..

best to ya, hope ya feel better soon..

:( :)

14. I'm truly sorry to hear that, Yoshi. :(

No one knows how to deal with cancer and death. Just hang tight with your friends and be there for each other.

That really stinks.

Mike

15. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    I had never known anyone with cancer that died from it until just recently one of my best friends' dad died from stomach cancer. It happened under a month ago, I wasn't around when it happened, but she told me that their whole family was there at his side, and that they all got to send him off with their last thoughts and love, She said it was the most powerfully moving thing she had ever gone through in her life.

Sorry to hear about that yoshi, :( try not let it get you down too much.:

16. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Hi, sorry to rebump this thread again.

Today was his funeral, myself and some freinds went along. There was a huge turnout, 200+ including just about our whole year from school, most of whom I havnt seen since we left about 2 years ago.

It was a 'good' service, including songs picked by our late freind himself. The vicar then went on to explain how the whole service was planned by our late freind himself in the (his) last few weeks, as he knew his illness was terminal.

Many were talking about what they remembered him for, rugby, mechanics, sociliation. The two quotes that stick with me are 'dont worry, we wont hurt the TV, its our god' when my mum told us to mind the TV at a party and 'billabong....reminds me of jiggly balls' when he read it off my tshirt when we first met.

One last sense of his charecter was his burial outfit; he'd selected his finest pair of dungerres, the exact ones my freind borrowed wehn our band dressed as mudvayne to a halloween party 2.5 years ago.

Please dont dedicate your thoughts to me, instead send them to his direct family and closer freinds.

Thanks for listening.

17. Paul A

Paul A

Dec 13, 1999
    Hertfordshire U.K!
    Hi Yoshi,
    A guy in our village died of cancer last year,similar thing, started in his thigh and spread.
    He was only 35 with a wife and 3 little kids.
    What we all did was had a day of music dedicated to his memory last summer.
    We held it in the pub garden (HUGE - think field!)
    We had loads of bands, some formed especially for the occasion and the best day of the whole summer.
    All the proceeds went to Cancer Charitys.
    It was such a good day we are all doing it again this year.
    I can't think of a better way to give a tribute to some one.
    His family said it really helped them through the hard time knowing everyone was with them.

18. nanook

nanook

Feb 9, 2000
    Alaska
    ditto