1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A fresh experience playing with a guitarist...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by scorpionldr, Apr 25, 2010.

1. So I just got in from seeing a new guitarist. I put out an ad looking for a metal band, damn this 20 yr old guy (I'm 25) was more than I bargained for! His songs on his myspace were pretty misleading to what he wanted me to play! This guy's showing me these that him and his other guitar buddy cooked up, but I swear some guys might be too talented for their own good.

I got into his apartment (which was cool since I just brought my little practice amp) and we're looking at tunes. A lot of them have parts with some really basic (but complex!) rhythm guitar lines (he said I have a good ear but wants me to have his guitar style articulations on his songs; double picking, etc) and then sometimes there's just bridges with crazy arpeggiations! (A#9th chords). After about an hour and 20 minutes of him showing me material I was cooked. This is the first time I've seriously gotten beaten at my own game (as far as matching notes and playing with speed and precision), but it feels alright. One weird point: he mentioned him and his own friend BOTH play leads! Weird...

So it was a fun night, but I think I've learned my lesson; watch out for those crazy lead guitarists that think bass is another guitar that can play the same stuff!!!

2. t bake

t bake

Dec 26, 2009
    Two folks swaping lead ,not to strange. Kinda sounds like he was busting your chops to eather show you how bad ass he is , or to realy see your skills .Ya said it felt good . go for it God Bless Gig on!!

3. You seem to have stumbled onto 2 guys in the 10% category of guitarists in the world that actually have talent. Don't let them go. If you had fun then go for it. If the bass parts seem too much then ask them if you can try the songs with a slightly simpler bass line just to see how it sounds.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Did he ask you to come back?