A friend just won 3 dove awards!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by count_funkula, Apr 25, 2002.

1. A friend of my wife and I just won 3 dove awards! The band won "Song of The Year", "Songwriter of The Year", and some kind of best contempory christian artist of the year award.

The band is called Mercy Me. Everyone go buy their CD. I'm pretty excited for this guy, it's weird having someone that lives across the road from you win an award like that. My wife grew up with him and his wife in the same church. Cool stuff!!!
  2. Whoa, that's pretty cool, Count. Tell them congrats from me. Maybe you're next? I'll look for the CD next time I go music shopping.

Good news.
    Mike J.
  3. That's great, I'll have to check them out. what's a good song I could download?

There was this great band that won a Dove in 1996 (I think), I loved them but they never went anywhere after that, Church of Rhythm was their name.

Other friends I have in the business tell me that in the last couple of years the CCM business has gotten really weird, with "ghost" writers writing statements of faith and testimonies for 14-year old Britney Spears types. It's as commercial and fake as secular teen pop these days.

Not to give you a downer or anything, I just hope that sincere Christian musicians don't give up hope and continue to do what they do for the right reasons.
  4. The song that won them the awards in called "I can only imagine". These guys are strong Christians.

I can believe what you said about the Christian music industry. Anywhere there is money to be made there are people who will do whatever they have to to get it. Nothing is sacred in the eyes of those types.