1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A friend of mine just won the Bassmaster Classic

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Feb 24, 2008.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
  2. HollowBassman

HollowBassman

Jun 24, 2007
    Hancock, MD
    Wow, that's awesome! I'd like to get paid $500,000 to go fishing for three days.

3. Valerus

Valerus

Aug 4, 2005
    Austin, Texas
    Dang dude! That's killer.

Rollin' in the dough.

4. That's sweet. A good friend of mine has placed top 5 in a few fishing tournaments. Never won, yet.

lowsound

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Cool, if he wins it four more times you can call him the Pittsburgh Steelers of bass fishing.

:D

-Mike

6. Very cool!! I was watching it on and off all weekend. As they say, winning that will change his life!! I love fishing local bass tournaments, I couldn't imagine the pressure of doing it for a living.

7. LilRay

LilRay Commercial User

Dec 27, 2007
    Between my Roscoe and Leather
    Owner: Cockeyed Cow Custom Leathercraft
    I live on Lake Hartwell, and by the looks of the lake here, I was surprised to see the guys catching fish like that. We're in a SEVERE drought. Parts of the lake are just mudholes right now.

8. Rumble Bee

Rumble Bee

Aug 15, 2005
    Alton has been fishing a long time and is a great guy. Glad he won it.

9. NKUSigEp

NKUSigEp

Jun 6, 2006
    Bright, IN
    I wish I could even afford the entrance fee for the Bassmaster classic!

10. bassturtle

bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Congrats to your friend! Any competition where you walk away with $500k is a good thing.

Obviously luck has a little bit to do with it, but what skills make someone a championship fisherman? Ability to read the water and where the fish might be? Aim and casting ability? Knowing what lures to use?

My fishing usually consists of putting a worm on the hook and throwing it out there :meh:

11. Congrats to your buddy! Those guys are awesomely talented.

Everyone who drives thinks they could run NASCAR, IRL or GP. Everyone who fishes thinks, "there's an easy paycheck." It's not...

12. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Awsome! Alton appears to be a great guy and a great angler. Charlie Hartley from Ohio who was in first place i knew from my bass days here in Ohio. Most of the guys are great guys a few are jerks but they are few.
    I used to run the tourneys and won a national championship in the 90's alot of local and regional wins as well. I walked away from it in the mid 90's just had enough and its really costly. I dreamed of a shot at the classic but it wasnt to be. Today i fish for fun sold most my gear both of my boats and play bass not catch em LOL.

Pro bass fishing or serious tourney fishing is alot of hard work. Long days exposed to brutal weather trying to break down water finding invisable (most of the time) fish. Time is money. The guys who can consistantly find the fish quickly and the largest cash huge checks but its not slinging a bobber with a worm folks...its a sience,art and passion.Like we feel about real bass playing vs plucking random strings and saying you are Geddy Lee.

13. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I can agree with the driving part, but a guy doesn't need to be "awesomely talented" to catch a fish.

-Mike

14. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    At the level those boys are at you would be surprised.

15. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Yes, I would. Even dorks like me get lucky at fishing. I cast a line into the river a couple weeks ago with a friend and hauled in the biggest catch of everyone in our fishing group. Most of the other guys have been fishing for 15+ years.

I have no fisherman skills, I don't know any of the terminology. Heck, I didn't even know what I was fishing for. Yet my buddies with years of experience spent all day casting into the same river and only a couple of them caught anything worth keeping.

-Mike

16. Cerb

Cerb

Sep 27, 2004
    Indiana
    Did anyone else think this was a thread about some type of bāss competition?

17. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
  18. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    No, because we all understand that music and/or bass guitar related threads do not go in the Off Topic section. :smug:

bc

19. bassbully

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Ya fishing that way luck has a big hand. Fishing like what the Bassmater Classic and Pro's like Alton Jones do is not in the same book. They have to show up to lakes all over the country have a pre-fish period and then 3-4 day to compete. They have alot on the line in endorsments ,contracts etc and 200-300 other anglers highly skilled chasing the same thing...$$$$.The pressure is intense. Long days exposed to cold,heat ,wind ,rain, bugs, boats everything and the clocks ticking to boat the heavest legal 5 fish limit or state limit of bass you can catch in the time you are given.

Now on your example. Lets say that big catch you made was enough to lead day 1# now you have 2 more days to continue to try to out fish your buddies to a $50.000 payday...will luck and a single cast work on day 2 day 3 or will the more experenced guys put togehter and bump you out and take the check? Thats what tourney Bass fishing is all about.

20. hbarcat

hbarcat Supporting Member

Aug 24, 2006
    Rochelle, Illinois
    That's like any other competitive skill that every armchair quarterback thinks they can do with just a little practice. But the people who actually make money at it do so because they don't expect to win with one or two isolated hot streaks; they work their asses off to develop the skill to perform at a high level and to do so consistently, time after time after time, under adverse conditions and under extreme pressure.

anecdote: I had the opportunity to learn a little about shooting pool from a retired professional player and I also had the time to practice an hour or so every day for a couple of years as well as playing in bars and halls, and I got pretty good at it so that I could expect to run the table quite often and make tricky combination shots and set myself up for numerous consecutive shots etc... That made me no better than the typical pool hall player and so far from being competitive that I would have been laughed out of any tournament I might have entered. The same is true for golf, bowling, fishing, luge, curling ............