Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A friend of mine walked away from this wreck...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Feb 19, 2003.

1. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Check this out. A friend of mine was driving along the freeway when an 18 wheeler drifted into his lane and basically ran over his car. My friend only ended up with a couple of stitches on his hand and a bump on his head. A real blessing considering his daughter was born a few days later.

Here are the pics:

[​IMG]

brad cook

2. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    and this one...

[​IMG]

3. Prime Mover

Prime Mover

Feb 16, 2003
    TN, USA
    Holy crap!!!!!:eek: Your darn right he was lucky...how did the semi drift into his lane? Come on people...LEARN HOW TO DRIVE FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!!!!!

4. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I don't know. That's just what the witnesses reported. The rescue workers were blown away that he lived and even moreso that he walked away without major injury.

brad cook

5. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I never said anything about luck.

brad cook

6. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    (Where jaw belongs)

(Location upon a "jaw-drop")

(Current jaw location)

:eek:

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    Wow. I don't mean to joke, but was that car a convertible, or is that lighter piece of metal the roof?

8. Dumfish

Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    Does Honda make a convertible?

It wasn't a convertible, the drivers side door frame goes to where the roof would be. And I believe that the "U" type shape on the part of the roof that is kind of facing up is where a sunroof was.

If that makes any sense.

9. By-Tor

By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    It looks like the rescue unit had to use the
    "Jaws of Life" to remove the roof.

If you look at it, it looks like the large grey piece inside the car is the roof with clean cuts on the rear struts.

10. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    Wow, I can kinda see how someone could emerge unharmed if it were right hand drive like we brits have, but a US left hand drive :eek:

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Yeah, they had to cut him out. It took a while. I believe the roof was pretty crushed in.

brad cook

12. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Glad your friend is ok.

It doesnt look like the airbag deployed. Given all the damage, im suprised it didnt. I realize it wasnt a frontal impact, but that car got knocked around enough that imo the bag should have deployed.

13. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    Glad to hear he walked away relatively unharmed - that wreck really doesn't look lik enayone could have walked away!

Glad to hear he gets to see his kid growing up!

I guess the trucker has a bit of explaining to do - he should consider himslef lucky, that he doesn't have to spend every day for the rest of his life knowing he killed someone!

14. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    Maybe it doesn't have an airbag. I can't tell what model year it is and even if I could I don't know what year they started putting airbags in those things so who knows?

15. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Looks like a mid 90's Honda Civic, and if you look at the steering wheel (in the first pic) the center lookd pretty big, like it probably has one.

16. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    He walked away??:eek:
    Amazing! But it's a good thing:)

17. woah

that is the second worst car crash that i have seen people walk away from without injury.

18. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  19. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    honda's are tough little cars, and she gave her life to save her owners.

at least it looks better than this:

[​IMG]

this thing USED to be an Audi S4. i believe the kids driving it eclipsed 100mph, hit some water or something and spun, flipped, smashed into a bunch of stuff...i'm pretty sure they weren't as lucky as your friend.