1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A friend sent this to my email. Funny but true!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by flypejose, Jan 23, 2012.

1. flypejose

flypejose

Sep 2, 2009
    Maryland
    I guess many people from my parents’ generation would not recognize today’s typical classroom. So many things have changed but are these changes always for the better?

BeforeAfter.

2. Its a goodie.

Certainly wasn't even that way in my days, and that wasn't that long ago!

However, I will say, as with most things, the truth does lie somewhere between (in terms of blame placing)!

3. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    I spent the last 8 years teaching high school English. You may think that's a joke, but it's more accurate than most realize. Nothing is ever Junior's fault. There's always someone who dropped the ball in his education or a label they can put on his situation. There is always someone at fault, but it's rarely, if ever, Junior.

4. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I knew a guy named Junior, and if you want to tell me its his fault I'll be inclined to agree.

5. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I currently have three kids in the public school system and can say that while it may be exaggerated a little, it's not wholly unmerited. I'm shocked sometimes at how some of the other parents seem to take NOOOOO responsibility at all for their kid's behavior and/or performance. It's never them, or their kids, therefore it must be the teacher...

6. And this is one reason we homeschool our daughter, and plan on the same for our 3yr old. (Already starting) :D

Let the flames ignite.

7. This

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    Have you seen Junior's grades? *guitar solo*

9. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Therein lies the problem. All the problems we see in school aren't the problems, they're symptoms. Issues like gangs, drugs, violence, teen pregnancy, and others are symptoms of lack of parenting. And socioeconomic status (I hate using these buzzwords) makes little difference. On the north side of town you have the wealthier schools. Mom and dad are professionals with good careers, or business owners taking care of their business, or just have money enough to go galavanting all over the place, so the kids stay with a sitter or housekeeper. On the south side, you have mom and dad working 2-3 jobs to make ends meet or one or both is locked up or addicted or whatever. Point is, mom and dad aren't with their kids. I know this is a generalization, and there are exceptions, but this is the truth more often than not.

10. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    How did I not see that one coming!?!?!?

11. DerHoggz

DerHoggz I like cats :| Banned

Feb 13, 2009
    Western Pennsylvania
    Yes, my mom is a teacher and gets this often. One time it was a school board member's kid, and he mentioned that he was on the board while they were talking over the phone about his kid's grade. She turned it around and asked why they were making contract negotiations difficult and they weren't getting their raises.

12. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Whuddaya mean? Skool is dere tuh raiz my kydz, I ain' got time fer dat, I'm 'baitin.

13. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Siddown Waaalllldo.

-Mike

14. pflash4001

pflash4001

Dec 2, 2011
    Amen, hallelujah, and pass the biscuits!

15. jmattbassplaya

jmattbassplaya Looking for a gig around East Islip, NY!

Jan 13, 2008
    Long Island, NY.
    I'd have a hard time paying attention if my teacher showed that much bust, too :bag:

16. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    Beat me to it.

17. 6jase5

6jase5 Mammogram is down but I'm working manually

Dec 17, 2007
    San Diego/LA
    you toonperv

18. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    I just can't grok this. Then again, I grew up in a house where B's required a compelling explanation.

19. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    While I understand the sentiment, my experience with people who were home-schooled usually goes something like this: "Is he that way because he was home schooled or was he home schooled because he's that way?" ;)

20. 1958Bassman

1958Bassman

Oct 20, 2007
    At this point and in certain places, isn't this a lot like trying to teach a pig to sing?