A friend's debut

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by pklima, Jul 28, 2018.

1. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Two of the girls that I've been making bacon chocolate with for the past few years played the first gig with their metal band last week. One on bass, who's never played a real gig before (though she runs the whole band and orders everybody else around - not your typical bassist!), and the other on drums. I've also somehow ended up producing their demo in exchange for recording some drum samples, and helping them affix the band logo sticker to the kick drum head, and now they want me to help them make an orchestral intro before their next gig. Things went quite well, though the bassist was so nervous beforehand I had to remind her to pace her fingernail-chewing so she doesn't run out of fingernail before the first downbeat. They did knock over one of the innumerable cymbals damaging the edge, and they figured out that the bassist should stand closer to the front of the stage in the future so she doesn't disappear behind the guitarist, and the female singer quit immediately after the gig, but generally things went quite well.

It's just nice to see your friends do well, and see the big smiles on their faces between songs, y'know?

A few pics:

37531360_1790790897678521_6890733821897998336_o.jpg 37572990_1790789341012010_8633626684416851968_o.jpg 37618164_1790789237678687_6242899178515595264_o.jpg 37661368_1790788901012054_5781172765218308096_o.jpg

Video:

2. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    I gave it a "like" in spite of the fact that the thing she's holding appears to have more than four strings.

3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone.

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The band seems tight, but I’m not a fan of the “cookie monster” vocals.

4. Grumry

Grumry

Jul 6, 2016
    Nashville
    So put a ring on it already!

pklima likes this.
  5. Joedog

Joedog

Jan 28, 2010
    Pensacola FL
    Bacon chocolate?

4dog, Spidey2112, mcarp555 and 4 others like this.
  6. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    This...I'm very happy to hear about the band, of course, and I wish them every possible success..but I also want to know more about this whole bacon chocolate thing.
    It's not a euphemism for something, is it?

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018
    Spidey2112, 4dog, mcarp555 and 3 others like this.
  7. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    The bacon chocolate is literally that - small crispy bits of fried bacon in chocolate, usually in pig-shaped molds. Sometimes some other ingredients, too, like cranberries or bits of candied pomelo peel, or chipotle and smoked sea salt.

WP_20170114_002.jpg
    _DSC4548.jpg

ak56, dbase, Rock Salad and 10 others like this.
  8. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    The female singer quit immediately after the gig but generally things went quite well.

Hahaha

soulman969, Passinwind and pklima like this.
  9. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    Heh, well, I think they're used to it. Of the people who are on the demo I produced a few months ago, the female singer is now gone, the guitarist recorded his parts and quit right away, and the male vocalist was only "in" the band for about three weeks, but long enough to learn a few lines and show up for a recording session. So only the bassist and drummer remain.

10. BassCliff

BassCliff

May 17, 2012
    So. Cal.
    Hi,

I guess it's tough being a star maker. But making chocolate bacon sounds like fun!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

pcake and pklima like this.
  11. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    So when the bassist fires the drummer she can achieve a perfect autocracy, I guess? Yel_wink.gif

Frank77 and pklima like this.
  12. mcarp555

mcarp555 Guest

Jul 14, 2013
    Why does that sound dirty, Cliff? :jawdrop:

Frank77, Oddly and pklima like this.
  13. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    I think it's always been her autocracy! Even though everybody else in the band except the guitarist with the Elvis Costello glasses (who's still in high school) is older and more experienced.

14. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    great song - i'd go see them live, and would never have guessed this song/show was anyone's first gig. too bad about the member turnover.

btw, making bacon chocolate sounded suggestive to me, too - and btw, why pig shaped molds?

Spidey2112 and pklima like this.
  15. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I think she looks a bit lost back there. Get her into first row and stuff the keys player back there, they're hidden anyway. Singers don't always need the spotlight. :rolleyes: Especially if they're background or secondaries. Same for guitarists. Rhythm guitarists don't need front row either. Lazy bums just double the bass line anyway.

As for the orchestral intro... That's a bit of a minefield for metal bands. A lot of bands I've seen have a really fat intro and then... the actual band sound is thin and harsh in comparison. What a letdown that can be.:(

pklima likes this.
  16. pklima

pklima Commercial User

May 2, 2003
    Kraków, Polska
    Karoryfer Samples
    When it comes to food, I'm a traditionalist. If I'm going to put bacon in chocolate, it's not going in cat-shaped molds, but in pig-shaped ones. Where bacon's always been for thousands of years!

dbase and pcake like this.
  17. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    When one stuffs bacon in chocolate, one loses the ability to call themselves a “traditionalist”...

pklima and pcake like this.
  18. That's exactly what I thought at first.

Glad to hear everything went well...except for the little "whole band coming apart immediately after" thingy. :laugh:

pklima likes this.
  19. Spidey2112

Spidey2112

Aug 3, 2016
    images(6).jpg

whero, Oddly and pklima like this.
  20. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    you had me at bacon chocolate...for various reasons.

Oddly, pklima and Spidey2112 like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 25, 2021