1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A Fun Little Poll: Painted, or Unpainted?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rapturebass, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Unpainted (Think Fender bolt-on)

103 vote(s)
    59.2%
  2. Painted (Think set-neck Gibson)

16 vote(s)
    9.2%
  3. I'm a man! I don't nitpick! :)

55 vote(s)
    31.6%
  1. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hi all. Just a fun little poll: do you prefer painted necks, or unpainted necks? I'm just curious cause my guitarists are always like: (drool hanging out of side of mouth) "Dude, i can't like totally stand painted necks because they like make it like hard to like play when you like sweat." So, how do you feel about it? Prefer one of the other? Or are you a man that dosen't nitpick? :p

Just in case examples:

Painted:

SR530PW_PAINTED_NECK.

Painted:

[​IMG]

2. DaveF

DaveF

Dec 22, 2007
    New Westminster, BC
    Unfinished necks, for sure!
    PLus they darken over time :Bassist:

3. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    I don't nitpick, I am a man! (nice poll choice rapturebass).

If I like everything else about a bass except for the painted neck, I'll get used to the painted neck, but that's just me.

However, if I were to create myself a bass, I would probably stick (or rather, not stick) with an unfinished neck. I do like that they darken over time like DaveF points out. There's something attractive about a bass that shows its age...

4. I don't nitpick and I'm not a man! :D Depends on the bass. I can deal either way. Satin finish is smoother and faster, but it's easy to adapt if it's not.

5. ive seen very few basses with painted necks. id always go for satin maple.. but im sure i could learn to live with painted if the gloss was sanded off

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Its all good, I play both, happily.

7. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Most necks I've seen have a gloss finish over the neck anyways so it doesn't really matter to me if its a finished neck or not.

8. 18eranaRic

18eranaRic Banned

Mar 7, 2009
    Malibu, USA
    the painted necks sure look cool after a few years of playing as chips and wear appear.

9. lowbass68

lowbass68

Feb 3, 2008
    Voted unpainted. But prefer raw, unfinished necks like Padouk, wenge, etc...

10. Personally, I don't think it's so much an issue of whether or not it's finished, but how it's textured - i.e. satin, gloss, etc.

Having said that, I still prefer raw wood.

11. I've never liked painted necks or a painted bass for that matter. but no need to fight over it. my cheese slid off the cracker a long time ago

12. Give the women-members some props here :meh:. They don't necessarily enjoy having it implied that only men refrain from nitpicking.

I know it (the survey's "I'm a man" option) was meant to be funny (and it cracked me up), but nitpickingness has been found in numerous rigourous studies to be a personal trait independent of sex, gender identity, race, religion, creed, national origin, etc. This has been verified with massive subject pools nearing 1,000,000. :hyper:

Go to Google Scholar: The articles are there in some shape or form, not that y'all 21st century peeps need such obvious info. You'll have to wade through lots of boring personality psychology papers.

13. wizay

wizay

Mar 5, 2008
    Norway
    Satin Maple, of course.

14. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Cali Intergalctic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    +10

15. savit260

savit260

Mar 6, 2006
    Boston
    Satin finishes feel like sandpaper to me. HATE THEM untill they've been played in for a good long time and smoothed out,or buffed out.

Give me a nice finished neck, with a clear coat of some sort. Don't care if it's over paint or not, just so long as there is some kind of finish over the wood.

Very much dislike the feel of bare, unfiished wood, and I'm not particularly fond of whatever it is the EBMM has been doing on the 'Ray's for a while. Just don't like that rough, scratchy feel.

I can't vote in the poll, as Fender necks ARE finished, just not painted. What's the difference between a clear coat finish over bare wood or over paint? Same deal IMO.

16. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut

Are you a travel agent? Cause you're sending me on a guilt trip.

It's just a joke. Nothing more. Maybe i should have put: "I'm awesome! I don't nitpick!" Anyway, sry if it offended you. Or any women. :)

17. rapturebass

rapturebass

Dec 6, 2008
    Connecticut
    BTW, i meant raw, unfinshed wood vs. pianted necks. Perhaps i should have been more specific.