1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

A fun night with the AW-3

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by zontar, Apr 19, 2015.

1. zontar

zontar

Feb 19, 2014
    J-5
    I had some time last night to just play bass & mandolin--and decided to use some pedals.
    Mostly I used my Boss AW-3 Dynamic Wah--a type of Auto Wah.
    So no pedal to wah back & forth--although if I had an expression pedal I could use it as one with this pedal.

On some settings the harder you play the more it wahs.
    And there's the voice-ish setting where you can set it for different vowels.

it's cool--some sounds have a real growl to them, some are very smooth.

I originally bought it thinking to use it on guitar, but as it has a separate bass input I tried it on my old bass, and had a lot of fun with it--I enjoy more on bass than guitar--but the pedal works great for both.

I decided that if I'd had a pedal like that when I was younger I would have played bass more often.

Another way this ties in with bass,is that earlier this year I decided I would write & eventually record a song that was inspired by each instrument I have. Other instruments can appear in the song & can even play a lead role, but the song had to be inspired by that instrument.

I also grandfathered a couple of riffs I already was working on turning into songs.

So I had some ideas on my fretless (Ibanez SR500F), but trying them with the AW-3 made one idea come alive--I really liked it without effects, but it sounds even better with some Wah.

I haven't recorded it yet, but I'm working out the song order and then what to play with it on guitar & maybe mandolin.

So the pedal is inspiring some creativity and it's fun to use.

just thought I'd share--to encourage other bass players here, and in case you care..

Thanks.

2. cyberfola

cyberfola

May 26, 2009
    The tempo setting is awesome! All other settings have volume drops and weird spikes. I'm using a pbass... I think I might prefer this sound over phasing...It's funkier...lol What other pedals have this oscillating envelope feature?

zontar likes this.
  3. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    The AW-3 is very solid, I had one I wasn't using so I let a friend of a friend "buy" it but they never paid me... Got it pretty cheap anyways but I miss it sometimes.

Not exactly the same but the Akai Veriwah has an auto wah mode that is similar, and you can use the wah pedal to control the rate or depth and a few other parameters:

file.

They are rare now though, and kind of finnicky anyways. The wah mode is solid on guitar for some stuff, but it's pretty treble heavy. And it's a big/heavy pedal. I kept it mainly for the auto wah feature.

zontar, BrentSimons and cyberfola like this.
  4. 4StringAxe

4StringAxe

Jul 27, 2009
    I thought this thread was new and gave ole Zontar a like. That's ok. It was a longtime coming.

zontar, Sunset Shalom and BrentSimons like this.
  5. Me too! Like duh. ;)

4StringAxe and Sunset Shalom like this.
  6. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Me three :roflmao:

BrentSimons and 4StringAxe like this.
  7. Ba55Man1ac

Ba55Man1ac Gold Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    :ninja: