Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A funny story from Iceland....

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Ívar Þórólfsson, Aug 27, 2005.

1. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    So, I was reading the sunday paper and I ran across an interesting article.

There´s a guy here in Iceland, his name is Pálmi Gunnarsson, he´s a very well known and respected bassist here on the rock. He´s been playing for long time and he's been on countless records etc.

Anyway, his main bass for the last 20 years is a red Spector. He has tried many other basses but he says that nothing compares to his Spector.

His Spector is getting a bit tired and he talked to a owner of a music shop here,Tonastodin, about getting a new Spector.

As it happens, this Palmi is an avid flyfisher and has been for years. So, the owner of Tonastodin, a guy named Andres, was at some sort of a NAMM thingie some years back and he met Stewart Spector there and they got talking and he found out that Stewart is also an avid flyfisher and has wanted to go to Iceland to do some flyfishing.

Andres remembered this encounter when he was talking to Palmi and Andres contacted Stewart and told him about that Palmi was looking for a new Spector and told him that he´s also into flyfishing. This ended with that he actually hooked Stewart and Palmi up.

So, Stewart Spector came to Iceland and he's here right now flyfishing with Palmi, not only that but he came with a brand new Spector NS 2A bass and gave it to him. :)

Anyway, I found joy in this story and it really says something about the bass community :)

2. wow that's awesome. maybe roger sadowsky would be interested in coming to florida to hang out with me...

3. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Does anyone know what Mike Tobias likes to do in his off time? :D

4. BassManPatsFan

BassManPatsFan Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2004
    San Francisco
    hey jp do u like swimming??
    :D

:bag:

5. PhatBasstard

PhatBasstard Spector Dissector Supporting Member

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    "New" NS2A?!? Are you sure about that model number?
    The NS2A was the much cheaper (about $999 list) import version of the NS2, only made for a few years during the Kramer era. I'll bet it was an actual NS2.

6. Wow! great story, everybody is not so bad in that world!
    Bass Players power!

Vince

7. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland

Dunno, that's just what it said in the story, the reporter might have got it wrong, but I don´t know.

8. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Stuart takes off and goes flyfishing a few times a year, it's his passion outside of building basses. That's a great story!

I'm sure the bass is actually an NS2, not and NS2A, just a mistake by the reporter - there ARE no new NS2A's now! ;)

9. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Great story ! I just read it in the newspaper.
    I didn't know Palmi's Spector was Korean, can someone tell me more about this model of his, produced 20 years ago (oh I'm too lazy to do a search) :oops: :ninja:

Basically it's a solid colour red, with a red laqured neck too and black hardware.

Attached Files:

10. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Actually, his old bass sounds like my red, Korean NS2A, made probably fifteen years ago. The one in the pic looks kind of like mine, as well.

I suspect his new bass is considerably cooler.

11. zbigniew

zbigniew

Nov 14, 2002
    Northern Iceland
    Thanks for the answer! :)

Well yes, his new bass is very cool - like that one in the pic below but four string - the red one is pretty cool too and I like the sound from the recordings he made with it.

Attached Files:

12. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    Wow!
    After hearing this and looking at an enlarged version of that pic, he very well have been playing an NS2A all this time.

I believe the NS2A was produced from '87-'90, so 20 years would be a little long. I owned both (USA and Korean/played Spectors exclusively for many years) and the NS2A had a much more growly, Jazz-like tone than the NS2, which actually made it better suited for certain things that it's much more expensive brother.

I don't doubt that Stuart may have a few of the older models laying around so maybe he did present him with a "new" NS2A. :cool:

13. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Ívar, when you said ´fly fishing´did you mean
    salmon fishing with fly tackle ...

ie laxveiði á flugu.

If that was the case, Spector got off cheap as that is
    about the most expensive sport in the world.

14. Ívar Þórólfsson

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Yup, that's exactly what I meant :)

And yeah, to fish in the best rivers here in Iceland isn't exactly on the cheap side.

15. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Well, Prince Charles likes it. What is it right now, about 5000 dollars a rod a day?

:bawl:

16. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Hmmm. We need to invent a more expensive sport.

How can we artificially raise the cost of Shotgun Golf?

Other than through insurance, of course.

You've heard of Shotgun Golf, right? Two sides. One with a 12-gauge pump gun, one with golf clubs. He tees off. You try to shoot the ball down. If you destroy it, move to the next hole. You can only shoot at the ball while it's moving. You each score the other guys points. You destroy his ball in the air? He gets three points. The ball survives the drive, but is destroyed on the way? He gets your shot count, minus his stroke count. He sinks the ball? You get his stroke count.

Low score wins.

17. PhatBasstard

Feb 3, 2002
    Las Vegas, NV.
    FORE!!!!! (Holy $hit!) :eek: ................Sorry (Let me just clean that up........medic?) :eyebrow: :p