Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A funny tuning story?????

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Reverend G-Money, Jul 10, 2005.

1. yes, my tuner decided to commit suicide off my rig and took the jump first set....

so, before the second set i notice that the Jukie has "smoke on the water".... we all know that G.... :p

so maybe not THAT funny, but it worked!!!!

2. invisiman

invisiman

Feb 22, 2004
  3. have you played "smoke on the water"? Deep Purple... the first note is a.... oh well..

it's a G... i was able to tune up using the song on the jukebox as a guide. a joke for dive-bar players i guess... ;)

4. Not actually that uncommon.

I tune to the intro music to The Kids In The Hall

(It's a "Shadowy men from a Shadowy Planet" song. The opening is just G-D-G-D)

5. Makes more sense than tuning up to the guitar player. I mean, how are you supposed to know which of their strings to tune to? One look a the whammy bar and they're all tuned to a different standard pitch anyway... :D

Randy

6. What??? You don't have perfect pitch to be able to just tune to your ear????

Pisshhh!

;)

7. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Hey, what are you saying? Do you? I know how you have been using that cracked rib that happens to vibrate a perfect E when you tap it while facing magnetic north with a pickle in your left pocket, and your eyes crossed. :p :D

8. Vysous

Vysous

Mar 29, 2005
    Once I asked my friend with absolute music hearring (i don't know how exactly is it said in english, but he just tell you name of the tone if you sing it to him) to whistle G1 and I tuned my bass from this G.. :)

9. Tuning is so corporate establishment rock whore. Don't bother - your band and fans will thank you.

10. KPJ

KPJ

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    I know guys who have tuned up off a pay phone dial tone!

11. I've heard of that. Dial-tones (in the US anyway) are a perfect A, right?

12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's awesome!
    *note to self*

I have tuned up in a dive bar to the juke as well.

13. It's true. Dial tones in the US are tuned to A=440 hz.

14. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yup.

i've done it many times.

15. Down Under, because the water flushes the other way, our ring-tones have to be set to Amaj7-5 :D

16. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    actually...

I'll stick my nose in and be a smart a$$.

A dial tone (Precise tone) in the U.S. is really two tones.
    350hz combined with 440hz.
    The closest musical tone to 350 is F wich is 349.24hz.

Dial tones were switched to these only recently (last 15 years or so, because of the growing use of touch tone dialing.
    Before 'Precise Tone'.
    Older modulated tones, which are still in use in Really small towns every here and there are still on the older system wich used 600hz amplitude modulated by 120hz.
    600hz is midway between D (587.36hz) and D# (622.24hz)
    120hz is between A# two octaves below A 440 (116.54hz)
    and B (123.48hz)

Sorry.... I actually wrote a paper on this subject back in college. I got a B on it. My prof. told me after class one day that it would have been an A had I gone more in depth about sound frequencies in general rather than just dial tones and musical tones. That or his phone was sharp when he was grading it.

Damn that guy.

17. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area

Yep, I only hear the F - And tune 4th string 1st fret to the dial tone in a pinch, which in turn sets up my open E, to tune everything else to.

Usually just have a tuner though =0)

18. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Here's my tuning story.

I was playing at church, and I tuned up before performing like I usually do. First song comes, and it seems like I'm out of tune. I really noticed it when the Tuba player and I were playing a similar note. Well, during breaks I'd check with the tuner, and it showed that it was in tune. But when it was time to play the next song, I was out of tune again.

After tuning the bass a couple of times I noticed the tuner was set to A 445. I guess it must have been altered when the tuner was being thrown around in the case.

Luckily I got it all together in time to play the last song in tune.

19. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    I used to get my E for my guitar off of Love Me Two Times.