Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

a future bass for me...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Julian M, Apr 15, 2001.

1. Julian M

Julian M

Apr 12, 2001
    this may be a bit premature, but i'm trying to find a more high-end bass for when i get to the appropriate skill level, as i am a beginner.

i like to play mostly hard rock music (I.E. Incubus, Snot, Rage Against The Machine), but i'm not too sure about a five string, because i tend to play more punk-style music with my friends.

does anyone have a particular bass that suits me?

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I've never been able to figure out why certain types of music wouldn't be amenable to five-string basses. Is it that it doesn't look cool? I mean, it just adds a little more facility to the whole experience of bass playing. I give up. What is it? Is it just me? I don't get it. Am I too old to understand? Somebody help me out here.

3. David-Adler

David-Adler

Feb 28, 2001
    Bonn, Germany
    My Esh Stinger

[​IMG]

looks cool, plays and sound even better !

David

4. I think when he said that he didnt want a 5 string for punk, he meant he didnt want the low-B, because punk usually doesnt warrant the note. I mean, the Low B will most likely get lost in the muddy mix of punk craziness, and the other strings would stand out better in the Mid-rangey sounds. But i do not think it has to do with looking cool. I am all for gettin a 5 string, hey, if you dont want the Low B for a certain song, just dont play it! But it is nice to have the option. Now i wish i had a 5-string..