a fuzz that isn't a muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by fenderx55, Aug 3, 2005.

1. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    last night i realized i wasn't getting a very fuzzy tone out of my double muff, and i don't need another distortion. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a fuzz box that isn't the big muff, only because it wouldn't fit on my pedalboard, but i'm looking for something between the tone the bassist for ben folds gets and new QOTSA fuzz. if anyone wants to trade pm me.

on second thought, if anyone has sound samples of the big muff i'd consider it. i'll make it work lol
  2. JPrisus

Jun 8, 2005
    Prescription Electronics Depth Charge should do the job, if you don't mind mind the boutique price.
  3. D*A*M Ezekial 25:17 would be worth a look as well.
    Boutique price but it has 5 varying fuzz settings and a mix knob to blend in your clean bass. It's next on my GAS list.

Mr. Bear
  4. xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  5. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
    i believe the bassist from ben folds five uses a big muff. i recomend the frantone lo-tone classic fuzz. again boutique price but a great pedal. warning: some around here say it doesn't like active basses, but sounds great if you're using passive

6. Jimbo

Dec 4, 2000
    Philadelphia, PA
  7. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
  8. atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    Zoom UF-01 is a really good fuzz for the money. Built in gate, keeps bottom end (but still I like to mix it with some clean), true bypass. Still can't believe it's made by Zoom/Samson ;)
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

I love mine; it has all the stuff I loved about the Muff and none of the stuff I disliked. Can't get as wild as a Muff for me, but my Depth Charge and Fuzz Face handle those tones.

For what I've heard the Wooley Mammoth is super fuzzy, retains and adds low end, and is ridiculously small. But I've heard it also is a pedal that not many can agree upon.
  10. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I use a Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz- an incredible sounding pedal. A Black Cat (not the Bass Octave Fuzz, but the Black Cat Super Fuzz) was used on the Beastie Boys song "Sabotage"

Linky, Linky.

11. +1
    there are a few threads about it.
  12. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I use both of those Black Cat's and they are great. Fred Bonte knows how to make a pedal.
  13. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    It is super-fuzzy indeed. However, definitely not for the faint of heart. If your looking for all-out fuzz madness (and you don't mind th $300 price tag) this is the pedal for you. But it doesn't have any type of blend, so getting a mild fuzz out of it is almost impossable.

Another pedal that doesn't like active basses from what I've heard...great w/ passive though.
  14. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2005
    Syracuse, NY
    Isn't the Mammoth the same pedal that Troy from Mastodon uses?
  15. Smoe

Jul 20, 2005
    Have you considered upgrading your pedal board to accomodate the big muff? It seems like it was your first choice - but you don't want it cause of size limitations.
  16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    That would actually be the Audio Monk Fuzzbeard.

17. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005

mneh, not really sure cause i haven't played it and since i'm going back to school in a couple of weeks, and a new fuzz would be pointless w/o my big amp (i just bring a 15W fender withme). In the end, I'd love to go with the wooly mammoth but the boutique prices would kill me. thanks for the great links i'll check them all out.
  18. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio
    I just ordered an Effector 13 Harsh Orange fuzz pedal- today, as a matter of fact. From the sound clips on www.pedalgeek.com, it's going to be all-out fuzz madness in my band from now on! I'll use my SansAmp PBDDI for clean, warm fuzzy and overdrive, respectively, and the H.O. for anything crazier. Now, on to replacing my Q-Tron with a DiscumBOBulator....
  19. Actually, in BG he said he uses a Sanford & Sonny Blue Beard Fuzz.
    It's like a big muff that doesn't suck bottom end.