Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

A g****r question

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Gunnar Þór, Feb 3, 2002.

1. I was wondering what the PRS guitars sound like. Are they like Stats or Les Pauls or something else?
    Thanks.

2. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    PRS scale is half-way between a Strat and a Les Paul. Also, they have different pup. PRS have a unique sound. For a sample, listen to Santana's Smooth

3. Johnny from Cradle of Filth has 3 PRS custom scarlet red's

you guys prolly know him as " gian "

4. PRS guitars are tone monsters. The original selling point was that you could get strat, tele, and les paul sounds out of 1 guitar and I think that's a pretty accutrate statement. They are much lighter than a LP, and the higher end models have some of the most beautiful maple tops I've ever seen. No I'm not the prs president, but I own one.:D
    (do not confuse the newer Santana models with the real thing though, there is no comparison.)

5. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    I played one earlier this week.

IT IS THE BEST GUITAR I'VE EVER PLAYED!!

(granted, i've only played a mexican strat and tele, a samick, a japanese tele, and a washburn acoustic).

It was a 3k plus instrument with a highly figured flame maple top and a green-ish stain finish.

Are they lighter in tone than a Les Paul?

6. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    they sound really good!

try one out and youll never want to play a bass again...

7. it all rides on whats comfortable to you. Personally I tend to like the strat feel better.

8. i disagree. PRS guitars sound good, but they won't sound like a telecaster no matter how hard you try. i think they're overrated. sure are purty, though.

9. Brooks

Brooks

Apr 4, 2000
    Middle East
    On the plus side, PRS guitars are real pretty (if you like that sort of thing), well made (but not worth the price) and sound pretty good (but not as much as they cost).

On the negative side, it's as if PRS took a Les Paul and a Strat, and got them into a forced marriage - scale is half way between the two, body shape is a 'merger' of the two as well.

All in all, I still prefer my '79 Les Paul Artist..no PRS will ever sound like it.

10. I have a custom 24 sitting in a case right next to me, but I hardly play it (its my dads). I always end up picking up his strat or custom shop tele (sounds more like a Les Paul then a tele) then the PRS... nothing wrong with it, its just not for me.

By the way, whats the problem people have with guitars here? I know its a joke and all, but it gets kind of old. It seems like everyone here is more interested in being a Jaco-obsessed bassist then being a musician, but I love the guitar. My guitar player and I often switch instruments during rehersal and jam... its always interesting to see what comes out.

Just my $20.00.

11. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    yeah, i agree. i like to play guitar as much as bass and you cant do anything about it!

12. I run my prs through a custom shop vibrasonic, and I can dial in a tele sound that is pretty close. I also have a tele plus(the one with 3 gold lace sensors) and I love it, but it's just not as versatile as the prs. To each his own, but I still think if you are gonna spend the money you are better off with the prs.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    MISCELLANEOUS.

14. I played one once in a store. I didn't like the character of the guitar, either in terms of feel or sound. I preferred the Tele sitting next to it.

Go figure.

15. All right, thanks everyone. Just wondering because a guitar playing friend of mine worships them as much as I worship Rics.