1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

A g string in between obligato and an oliv

Discussion in 'Strings [DB]' started by neal davis, Aug 23, 2012.

1. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    I am messing around with g strings on one of my basses and the obligato is too zingy and my oliv doesn't seem to have enough sustain.

Would an Evah be in between them?

Any other suggestions?

2. Timmy-Watts

Timmy-Watts Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2010
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Evah. I love Zyex's and try are inexpensive too. I love them on my bass.

3. DC Bass

DC Bass

Mar 28, 2010
    Washington DC
    I wonder if you didn't get a wonky Oliv, or if there might be a set up issue. My experience with the Oliv G is that it should offer plenty of sustain.

Out of curiosity, what are you using for the rest of your strings?

Joe

4. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    I have used olivs on other basses for years, the set up is fine on the bass, I tried the oliv on another bass and it is fine, I'm just looking for a string that is in between the obligato and the oliv, I'm using this bass for a pit gig where I'm doing everything from arco, old school jazz type of playing to some more modern funky stuff. The oliv g is great for the first two styles it is just lacking a bit of the sustain needed for the funkier stuff.

5. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    Evah

6. Neal:

Zyex Medium G.

7. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I have a string test day set with another member and good friend on Tuesday and am going to try everything he has on hand.

8. Greg Clinkingbeard

Greg Clinkingbeard

Apr 4, 2005
    Kansas City area
    KC Strings
    You never really know until you try. I do remember liking the Zyex G.

9. If you would like to try an Innovation Honey, Dominant, Pirastro Pizz gut or a Gamut Lyon Med (all G!) let me know and I can send them to you to see if you like any of them.
    My Zyex G broke on Thursday (probably my fault for going back to the normal G tuning peg) and the replacement has not arrived so I can't help you with that.

Cheers

10. neal davis

neal davis

Dec 29, 2006
    toronto canada
    I finally got to try a zynex g string that a good friend and fellow board member gave me. It is exactly what I needed for my bass. I'm just trying to figure out if it us a medium or a light.

Thanks for all the suggestions